Refrigerator (Cooler Compressor) is shot.

Previous topic - Next topic

Miles Henderson

Hello Fellow Boat Owners:

I own a 1992 34 foot Catalina MK 1.5.  The cooler compressor gave up late last fall :cry4`.  A new upgraded system is priced through Catalina Direct $1,470 before shipping :shock:.  My marine HVAC service technician assures me this is a good price on an up-to-date system.  However, it is still a lot of money. 

So, I decided to go out on limb and install a much cheaper ($139 after shipping) thermoelectric air conditioner from Custom Thermoelectronic (Model # ATA-035-12).  It draws significantly lower amperage that the current system and it is very easy to install: cut a square hole in the ice box, insert the cooling portion of the assembly into the icebox, hook up the power from the thermostat already in the icebox, disconnect the electric panel to the old system and reconnect to the new. 

A thermoelectric cooler (also known as a Peltier Cooler) is similar to a heat pump; but, transfers heat from the air by taking heat from the cool side of the convertor and dispersing the heat on the warm side of the convertor.  Both sides of this assembly have a small fan to circulate the cooler air and disperse the warm air outside the cooler.  Except for the fans, the assembly has no moving parts.  I tried to spec-out what my needed cooling power will be; but, it was only a rough guess on my part.  When it gets warmer in the boat (it's in Chicago), the heat leaking into the cooler via its insulated shell will get more intense, so I will not really know how well this installation will work until it is tested by the elements. 

I didn't see anyone else making a Forum comment on a similar project, so it looks like I may be the first guinea pig.  Wish me luck and I will report back to you when it gets hot here.

Stu Jackson

Miles, thanks for the report and good luck.

I've read about these coolers on other forums, usually built-in to their own insulated boxes like simple coolers, rarely if ever into an existing box.  It would be interesting to know how it works with existing temperatures as well as when they rise.  It might identify a "break point" for equipment capacity, box size and temperatures.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

I've used the same technology coolers in 12v Coleman beer coolers, and a home wine cooler.

The common understanding, and it parallels what I found is, that technology cools to a maximum 40°  Below ambient temperature.    So on 90° days the max you going to get out of it is 50° in the box.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Dave Spencer

Hi Miles,
That sounds like an interesting and economical solution.  I assume you lose the freezer function but can hopefully keep perishable food and drinks cool. 
I had a worry about my refrigeration two years ago when it gave up, fortunately near the end of our three week North Channel cruise.  I diagnosed it as the controller and installed a new one, but still no joy.  It turned out to be a faulty switch on the electrical panel.  Very hard to find since I was showing 13+ volts at the compressor but when a load was applied, it would drop to zero.  Less than $5 fixed it. 
We'll all be waiting to hear how it goes for you over the summer.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Ken Juul

I wish you luck.  I've had 2 of the coolers and one home wine cooler.  The Peltier unit lasted about a year in each appliance.  Agree with Ken, 40 degrees cooler than ambient is the best you will get, on hot summer days the food was just chilled, not cold.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ken Juul on April 15, 2017, 06:18:12 AM
I wish you luck.  I've had 2 of the coolers and one home wine cooler.  The Peltier unit lasted about a year in each appliance.  Agree with Ken, 40 degrees cooler than ambient is the best you will get, on hot summer days the food was just chilled, not cold.

Our wine chiller crapped after 2 yrs. Tho it was a gift it was an expensive cooler.
I believe that technology is just not meant for 24/365.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

lazybone

Here's an Italian thermoelectric unit made specifically for boats. 

www.aten.it/KECO_Eng.html
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677