plastic bilge plug

Previous topic - Next topic

anaisdog

mine is white plastic and cracked.  not that it can't be used but not great.  the local yard doesn't have them.  can i replace with brass or something else or do i need to use plastic ?  thanks

becki kain
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

Noah

What is a plastic "bilge plug"? Are you talking about a garboard drain?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Quote from: anaisdog on April 11, 2017, 03:03:57 PM
mine is white plastic and cracked.  not that it can't be used but not great.  the local yard doesn't have them.  can i replace with brass or something else or do i need to use plastic ?  thanks

becki kain

Always, Pictures!!!  HELP us help YOU.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

patrice

Hi,
Most of the bilge pump I've seen, had plastic casing.
Are you talking just the casing, or the inside mecanic

OUpss read to fast, saw pump not plug.
Well hope you 're not having a plastic plug in you bilge.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

anaisdog

the bilge has this screw thing that you can unscrew and drain all the liquid out of the bilge when the boat is in the air.  i'll post a picture when i get home.  thanks

britinusa

Is the 'plug' inside the hull or outside the hull?
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

anaisdog

it's thru hull starboard side at the top of the keel.

MarcZ

I think these are also called garboard drain plugs. (not uncommon in N Europe)
Would it be difficult to replace with lets say Perko  bronze ?
"Cracking" sounds scary I would think of it as a motivating factor .
93 C34 Mk 1.5 #1258 TR WK M35
Upper Chesapeake

anaisdog

yes that is it!  but mine seems to be hard plastic.  thanks

KWKloeber

Becki

Is the female side metal or plastic?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

anaisdog

i will look on friday.  thanks

Ron Hill

Becki : I'll guess that you are talking about the bilge pump (manual and or) electric thru hulls in the transom?? 

You can use "plastic" or I'd recommend nylon.  If you change one I'd also change the other as they've been is the same UV sunlight!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

anaisdog

KWKloeber

Quote from: anaisdog on April 12, 2017, 09:30:15 AM
i will look on friday.  thanks

becki,

I saw your link (picture) after I read the question about using a metal plug.  I was thinking you wanted to just replace a plastic pipe plug with a metal one and was thinking about a metal plug and corrosion (not as much a problem on the big lakes as it is in salt.)

I'll simplifize it a little after seeing your link, you don't need to check the female side.

If YOUR plug is EXACTLY the type that you posted, then you need THAT plug.

There are three garboard and other drain type plugs:

Straight pipe thread (NPS - National Pipe Straight.) Like the white plug you linked to -- the o-ring makes the seal.

Tapered pipe thread (i.e., NPT - National Pipe Taper.)  The tapered threads make the seal (with teflon tape or pipe dope.)

Proprietary threads - like the BLACK plug shown in your link.   They DO NOT match any standard pipe thread.

You should NOT mix straight thread with tapered thread. It may screw in, but it won't seal correctly.  Although they are manufactured, you'll find STRAIGHT thread plugs only in a specialty supply house.  "Hardware store" plugs are TAPERED pipe thread.  If there is no o-ring, it is TAPERED, not STRAIGHT thread. 

Check the female side for deterioration -- It's probably painted and a crack could be hidden.  IIWMB, it would carry a spare plug and a tapered rubber stopper (tied to something in the bilge) just in case Murphy hops is aboard.  Keep UV off. 

IYWT, you could also change switch from plastic to an all bronze or stainless garboard drain.

kk