filling holes in plexiglass

Previous topic - Next topic

anaisdog

i mistakenly didn't tell the guy who copied my portlights in plexiglass to not put the holes back in.  I'm using the black foam tape, as recommended by Catalina, and dow corning 795.  What can I use to fill in these holes so they don't leak?

thanks

becki kain
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

KWKloeber

Quote from: anaisdog on April 10, 2017, 10:27:27 AM
i mistakenly didn't tell the guy who copied my portlights in plexiglass to not put the holes back in.  I'm using the black foam tape, as recommended by Catalina, and dow corning 795.  What can I use to fill in these holes so they don't leak?

thanks

becki kain

One common routine is to use the holes and screws to hold the plexi in place until the 795 sets up, then remove the screws so they plexi doesn't crack and fill hoes with 795.

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

patrice

Hi,

I would put back the screw in to hold properly the plexi back in place.
Just screw them until the head touch the plexi, not thightening them on the plexi.
When you put the caulking, around the opening, put toward the inside of the screw holes.   No water will endup leaking inside the boat.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

anaisdog

caulking?  what am I using for that?  i'm using 795 to put them on, are you talking about an outside edge as well?  what should i use?  thanks
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

lazybone

Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677