Isolation Transformer

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcZ

I'm contemplating adding Isolation Transformer while upgrading to Smart-plug , and looking for advice / suggestions on location , brand etc. (pic would be great)

I found one from  Charles Marine Iso-G2 3.6 kVA  size ~ 10" x 10" x 10"

Thanks,
Marc

93 C34 Mk 1.5 #1258 TR WK M35
Upper Chesapeake

mark_53

Marc: 
I have an isolation transformer that is located on a lower shelf in the port side wet locker. I believe it's a Charles. Seems to work fine. I've been using it for about 3 years. Came with the boat.

MarcZ

Does it get hot ? how about noise level  ?

Thank you,
Marc
Upper Chesapeake

mark_53

It doesn't get hot.  Noise is a slight hum but not disturbing at all.

J_Sail

Not to distract from an excellent question, but have you considered the cheaper alternative of a galvanic isolator? I don't have personal experience, but galvanic isolators have greatly improved over the years, with new "fail-safe" models leading the way, and are cheaper/smaller/lighter than transformers and are silent. The Iso G-2 weighs 60 lbs, while a 30A galvanic isolator weighs under 3 lbs (and is about 1/4 the size).

I have heard from two reliable/expert sources that the DEI fail-safe galvanic isolators are of superb quality.

That said, a galvanic isolator does not protect against quite as many scenarios as an isolation transformer, so there are good reasons to go either way.

Jeremy

MarcZ

I did look at both, with transformer there is simply no "technical" or "functionality" downside "just"  1) price  :shock:  2)  size 3) weight  - last two are definitely manageable .

More I think about location more I'm eyeing cockpit locker, it would be right next to my shore power plug and fairly out of the way . Am I missing something here ?  :think
Upper Chesapeake

mark_53

My cockpit locker gets more exposure to the elements and wet stuff then inside the cabin.  I think you want to keep expensive electronics as protected as possible.

Ken Juul

I mounted my galvanic isolator inside the cockpit combing next to the engine instrument panel.  Easy access to the shore power plug and out of the elements.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Noah

Does anyone know what year/hull number when they moved the shorepower plug from the outside of the combing to inside the cockpit?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Dave Spencer

Mine's on the stbd transom.  Mk1.5 with sugar scoop stern.  1994 model built late 1993.  It's out of the way but readily accessible.  I haven't yet left the dock with the power cable attached!   :shock:
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

MarcZ

Do you have a transformer there as well ?

So far we have 3 production years and 3 different plug locations  :?

There is definitely something about cockpit locker being not very dry therefore not ideal for electrical anything but ..... I already have "electrical box" right there and no signs of trouble

I need to make a dummy template and start measuring alternative locations
Upper Chesapeake

Dave Spencer

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

mark_53

Quote from: MarcZ on April 12, 2017, 12:58:51 PM
I think about location more I'm eyeing cockpit locker, it would be right next to my shore power plug and fairly out of the way . Am I missing something here ?  :think

Is there a reason being close to the power plug is important?  Mounting close to the AC bus would be just as convenient to install on my MK1.  Don't know about the MK2.

rmbrown

Re plug location, I have hull number 1251, a 93 model built in December of 92, and mine is in the cockpit, not in on the stern.  I see Dave's is a year later and on the transom.  Not sure if that helps bracket when they moved it, or proves that the location isn't consistent!
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

sailaway

The whole problem with galvanic action is the green wire from the shore power cord being connected to your engine. A power isolation transformer on the power lines doesn't do much good. Any transformer that is loaded or working will give off heat. Charlie