Rudder Tube - Catalina Direct Kit

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

Pulling the boat out in a couple of weeks and looking to take up the slack in the rudder tube using the Catalina Direct Kit

Trying to figure out how to drop the rudder.

Did a search, best result was this one http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3645.msg20188.html#msg20188

I also read the post about using film to take up the slack.

We have the 1987 Fin Keel Tall Rig #463 and the same rudder as the third FIRST pic in this image

According to that image, we need about 36" clearance from the bottom of the rudder to the ground in order to drop the rudder.

Elsewhere I read that someone had to dig a hole 8" but more useful would be the distance from the bottom of the rudder to the bottom of the keel.

I'm guessing that I'll have to support the bottom of the rudder and then...
.. remove the emergency tiller thing at the top of the rudder (remove bolt in cockpit)
.. ease the tension bolts on the steering quadrnt
.. remove the bolt(s) from the steering quadrant
.. lower the rudder.

That all sound about right?

TIA

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Braxton

Sounds about right.   Be prepared to replace the rudder post cap (where the emergency tiller goes).    You may have to bust it to get it off.   CD has new ones in stainless.     All of the quadrant bolts have a reputation for being hard to get out.   You may want to test whether yours are easy to turn sooner rather then later.   That way you can soak them in your favorite bolt breaking product if necessary.

Depending on you yards tolerance for digging you may want to consider just having them lift the boat two extra times.   It will save time and your back but at the expense of your wallet.
Braxton Allport
1988 #805, Ballou - Tacoma WA

britinusa

Thanks Braxton.

Good idea about prepping the bolts, I could apply a spray every time I go down to the boat prior to haul out.

I have the option of additional height blocking when we pull the boat, hence why trying to figure the height of the rudder base compared to the bottom of the keel.

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Stu Jackson

Quote from: britinusa on April 05, 2017, 10:36:43 AM
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>
hence why trying to figure the height of the rudder base compared to the bottom of the keel.

Paul,

You could go to the wiki and find the brochure for the Mark I boats and scale the rudder vs. keel depth.  That should be close enough to work with.

http://www.c34.org/images/34-bw3d.jpg

Based on that, it appears that the difference is simply between the wing keel depth and the fin keel, because it looks like the rudder is no shorter for the wing than the fin keel.  That's always been a "complaint" anyway.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

britinusa

I spoke with Warren at Catalina Yachts this afternoon, very helpful, As Always!

My earlier post about the rudder type has been corrected, I have the rudder shown in the first pic.

Warren advised that the rudder post extends about 36" above the rudder.

The image in the Owners manual is not to scale - (compare the height of the front support in the frame to the height of the pulpit!!!)

So it looks as though I'm going to have to get some hang time in order to get the rudder out, cleaned, and waxed, holes drilled and rudder reinserted.

Working on my project management spreadsheet in order to get everything done.

Paul

Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Ron Hill

Paul : Are you taking up the vertical slack or the lateral slack of the rudder in the tube? 
Ron, Apache #788

lazybone

I installed zirc fittings on the upper and lower tubes when I bought the boat.  Everything good after 29yrs.  I don't think it will help on ones that are already Oblong.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

britinusa

Quote from: Ron Hill on April 19, 2017, 02:02:47 PM
Paul : Are you taking up the vertical slack or the lateral slack of the rudder in the tube?

Lateral, the surveyor noted that there was a 'bit of play' when he was able to nudge the rudder from side to side.

Had the boat dived yesterday, bottom still good (Pettit Ultima SR 60 June 2015) may delay pulling the boat for a few months if I can polish the sides in the water.

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water