Documentation renewal alert

Previous topic - Next topic

chuck53

Quote from: rmbrown on April 19, 2017, 09:42:57 AM
They did send me my renewal so they did what they promised, just charged way too much for it.

Mike, check your next renewal date.  Because this company sends in your request sooner than the CG asks for it, I lost a month of documentation going from 5/31/17 to 4/30/18.

chuck53

Quote from: chuck53 on April 25, 2017, 08:01:05 AM
Quote from: rmbrown on April 19, 2017, 09:42:57 AM
They did send me my renewal so they did what they promised, just charged way too much for it.

Mike, check your next renewal date.  Because this company sends in your request sooner than the CG asks for it, I lost a month of documentation going from 5/31/17 to 4/30/18.

Just to follow up, I'm seeing on other boating forums that a lot of people, like me, have lost a month on their renewal.  A few have actually lost 2 months.

rmbrown

Personally, I'm more concerned about being charged 4-5 times as much than losing the month or two, but maybe that's the loophole needed to get the credit card company to reverse the charges since they aren't holding up their part of the (bad) bargain?
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

KWKloeber

They get the renewals from the CG information, and then get to owners early to sign them up before they realize the CG notice.  That's why you lose a month or two every year.

Yep there's scumbags everywhere, but caveat emptor.   Yeah, it's a bad bargain, but so are a lot of other marine parasites out there that charge more than list price for what you can buy it from s dealer or  (already overpriced) manufacture with no discount.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

Mike did they already charge you for all years or is it a year-by-year,?
If you're by year, cancel the credit card number and get a new Number.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

KWKloeber

Mike

How do you get around this with the cc company?  Is there something in the agreement that says they can't renew earlier than your date?  Guarantee this is not their first rodeo.  Not an attorney, but I know in some states you have like five days to cancel a contract, maybe there's a l federal provision for cc companies?

application will be processed in the order in which it was received and no exact time frame regarding my application can be given as every application is unique.

Ron Hill

Guys : I found the following in our sailing group news:

One of our members reported this to me....
He was recently scammed by  a documentation service that sent out  a reminder that my document expiration was coming up and to apply by Internet for $75.00

He discovered the scam several days later when the real reminder was sent from the United States Coast Guard in Falling Waters, WV. The scammers have all of his information, name, address, boat name, document number and expiration date. He will get the renewed document but at three times the cost!

The scammer is
U.S. Vessel Documentation
Morgantown, WV

He goggled their address and found them in a shopping center in Morgantown. Their real address is somewhere in California, as that is where it was post marked. They have an elaborate web site with full documentation services but they are a third party transactor.

They very cleverly disguise themselves with a web site www.uscgdocumentation.us and the fake West Virginia address. The Coast Guard knows all about it but apparently can do nothing about it.

>>----------------------------------------------------------------------
>>----------------<<
You have received this message as a member of: Chesapeake Bay Grand Banks Owner's Association, Inc Change preferences (including opt-out): https://cbgboa.clubexpress.com/content.aspx?page_id=13&club_id=584675
Ron, Apache #788

chuck53

It does seem the CG can't do much about these scammers, however....
I have read some posts where boaters complained to VISA and did get their money back.  The more people who complain to VISA, the better.  Also complaints to the postal service and the FTC won't hurt either.

chuck53

The CG has put out an advisory on this warning people of this scam.  They can't stop it, but they are alerting people to only use the CG website to renew.

https://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/cg545/alerts/Adv0117.pdf

rmbrown

Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

rmbrown

Painful update... I called my credit card company (Chase) to get a progress report.  They hadn't received the paperwork... thanks US Mail... so I resent it.  They said they'd be in touch in a few days.  They were, true to their word, but they just called to tell me that too much time had passed since the transaction and so would not dispute the charge.

That said, I got what I paid (way too much) for for year one but, in spite of the fact that they haven't yet performed the renewal for the next five years yet, they won't refund my money and the credit card company won't, or can't, help.

I guess it remains to be seen whether they will do my renewal this year.  If they fail to do that, I'll contact the credit card company again.  Otherwise, I'll just have paid 5 times too much for 5 years of renewals.

If anyone can suggest a perfectly legal and above board next move, I'm all ears.
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

SailingJerry

I got mine in the mail today. Thanks for the heads up. Will use the paper to start the fire pit tonight.
There is NOTHING--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.    Kenneth Grahame

Paulus

Alert.  The same scoundrels are at it again.  Just received it in the mail today.
Paulus
Cool Change 1989 #944

rmbrown

I'm thinking this one should be sticky at the top of the list.
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Stu Jackson

Quote from: rmbrown on March 12, 2018, 04:43:52 PM
I'm thinking this one should be sticky at the top of the list.

Can't always be at the very top, but will make it one for a while.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."