how much 795 for all 4 portlights

Previous topic - Next topic

anaisdog

i took out to have remade all 4 of my portlights (c34, 1986, hull 99). if i follow this:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=8937.0;attach=5721;image

how much dow 795 should i have with me, to do this project, for all 4 portlights? and is the foam tape something special?  couldn't i use butyl tape in place of the foam tape (not in place of the 795)?

thanks

becki kain
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

KWKloeber

becki,

FWIW, a tube covers 20 feet at about a 1/4" bead.

You might ask Bill Sherman -- recall he did a complete C30 plexiglass window replacement and might recall how many 795 tubes and how many feet perimeter it was.

No double stick tape is not butyl.  I'd actually do it slightly differently than shown... I'd set that "blocking" back from the edge a little so that on the inside I could run a fillet of 795 over them (thus hide the tape blocks from being visible.)   You might also be able to use neoprene "glazing blocks" stuck in place with a little goop (contact cement?)  Their purpose is mainly to shim the plexi out some so all the 795 doesn't get squished out when the plexi is held against the coachrooof.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jon W

Take this as a point of reference only because I have not done this project myself yet. I have looked into it as a future project. When I asked Catalina for their estimate they suggested 2 tubes per portlight. I found a place online called Sealant Engineering with a much better price for Dow 795 than Catalina.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

Good point on the price. 
Also CR Laurence 95C sealant is the same animal. 
Comes in several colors, 95CBL is the p/n for black.

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Noah

Yeah  I'm in the same boat! Not liking the crazing on mine either. No leaks or cracks (yet) so next year's project.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

anaisdog

what is the black foam tape called so i can buy some?  i'll post after this weekend, how much i needed, per portlight.

KWKloeber

As the Catalina document says 3M Black Foam Tape, 1/8" thick.  www it, or as I said, Bill Sherman has done this, reach out to him  regarding materials and/or tips.

ken

anaisdog

Ken, I did on the c30 site

and HOLY COW is it hard to find the stupid dow corning 795.  sealant engineering was the way to go

KWKloeber

Quote from: anaisdog on April 04, 2017, 07:16:31 AM
Ken, I did on the c30 site

and HOLY COW is it hard to find the stupid dow corning 795.  sealant engineering was the way to go

Beckie

I KNOW!!  It's a contractor supply type of thing. That's why I started carrying the 95C flavor.
What does SE charge for 785?   I have found it for another C34 member using the dealer search function on the Dow Corning website.

kk

Jon W

$6.85 for a 10.3 oz tube. Currently on sale for $6.65
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca