All in One Solar

Previous topic - Next topic

mark_53

I was at Fisheries Supply the other day and saw these interesting solar panels.  The idea of plugging them in as needed seems to make sense for the non full time cruiser. I'd use on top of the hard dodger when needed.  Looks like an easy install direct to the house bank.  Then, stow below out of the weather when not needed.  As I recall, they were in the neighborhood of $300 - $400. Looks like mounting can be done with Velcro.  Heat dissipation may be an issue.  I have no financial interest.

Stu Jackson

Conceptually, it makes a lot of sense:  a solar panel with a built-in controller.

Before I did this, though, I'd want more info on the controller - voltage set point for example.

Most good controllers these days are programmable for both voltage and time for different pahses or stages of charging.

Example:  If you have gel cells, "standard" 14.4V will kill them.

Something new is not always better.  I'd do some more homework before I'd invest in them.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

DaveBMusik

A 23 watt panel is not going to get you very much. Without doing a full blown energy audit, most people say 200 watts is about what you need to run refrigeration.
Here is an energy estimator from e-marine...

https://www.emarineinc.com/pdf/vessel/Vessel_Energy_Usage_Estimator.pdf
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

mregan

I added 2-100w flexible panels last year.  I bought a kit from somewhere.  I can't remember.  Believe it was about $300-$400.  Put the panels on the bimini.  We are mostly weekend sailors.  Do the occasional 3-4 trip 1-2 times a summer. 
On a 4 day trip last summer, running the fridge the whole time, radio, charging 2 phones, lights at night.  We didn't have to run the engine at all.  On the 4th day, I think we were at 12.4v or 12.35v.  And we weren't being stingy with the energy usage. 
It was nice not having to worry about the batteries the whole weekend.

mark_53

Quote from: DaveBMusik on March 22, 2017, 11:43:29 AM
A 23 watt panel is not going to get you very much. Without doing a full blown energy audit, most people say 200 watts is about what you need to run refrigeration.
Here is an energy estimator from e-marine...

https://www.emarineinc.com/pdf/vessel/Vessel_Energy_Usage_Estimator.pdf

The estimator only works with Adobe but it looks like it simply adds the values in the column.  What is the point of differentiating hours used at sail or at anchor?

Stu Jackson

Quote from: mark_53 on March 22, 2017, 05:11:28 PM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What is the point of differentiating hours used at sail or at anchor?

Mark,

Try this example instead of an internet calculator:

The All-Important Energy Budget:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3976.0.html

Click the PDF file to read/view it.

The concept is that the AMOUNT of TIME one uses different things changes between day sails, overnights and at anchor.

The point is, regardless of the individual values for amps for any appliance, the HOURS change.  Sometimes dramatically.

Do your own and you'll see.

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

SailingJerry

Quote from: mregan on March 22, 2017, 12:12:35 PM
I added 2-100w flexible panels last year.  I
bought a kit from somewhere.  I can't remember.  Believe it was about $300-$400.  Put the panels on the bimini.  We are mostly weekend sailors.  Do the occasional 3-4 trip 1-2 times a summer. 
On a 4 day trip last summer, running the fridge the whole time, radio, charging 2 phones, lights at night.  We didn't have to run the engine at all.  On the 4th day, I think we were at 12.4v or 12.35v.  And we weren't being stingy with the energy usage. 
It was nice not having to worry about the batteries the whole weekend.

I am very interested in putting  two 100-watt panels on my bimini. Any recommendations as to a reliable brand? Defender has a "go power" package, but they are Chinese made. Suggestions?
There is NOTHING--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.    Kenneth Grahame

DaveBMusik

After stressing over this for about a year, I have decided to have a couple of stainless bows made to go over my bimini and install a 100 watt hard panel on each side. I already have a solid bimini frame and there just wasn't enough real estate on the bimini to install flexible panels.
While I am not thrilled at the look, the bows will allow the canvas to be taken off if necessary.
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT