Cleaning the Fuel Tank

Previous topic - Next topic

lazybone

Quote from: britinusa on April 08, 2017, 04:03:36 PM
Update.
Looks like it was a good decision to pull the tank for cleaning.

While looking at how to disconnect the fuel fill hose at the tank, I found that the hose has hundreds of splits around the outer cover and one along the cover about 8" from the tank.

Cleaned out the tank as Indian Falls suggested (just drove around locally - kidding!)

I found a lot of grit in the tank, a few chunks of jello-ish stuff, but mostly grit from can't see individual specs up to about 1/2" They're in the bottle that is settling right now.

In the morning I'm going to get the fuel hose and a big jug of sea Foam to washout the tank which has the residue from the simple green.

Paul

The jello stuff is caused by additives that claim they get rid of water in your tank.  They're not lying because its no longer water. :?
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

britinusa

Thanks Lazybones, hadn't thought about that!

Documenting as I go, does this look about right?
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Ron Hill

Paul : looks correct!!  Tank, Racor, Lift pump, Engine filter, Injection pump.

Ron, Apache #788

lazybone

Quote from: britinusa on April 09, 2017, 08:23:45 AM
Thanks Lazybones, hadn't thought about that!

Documenting as I go, does this look about right?

If you wanted, you could add the injectors on the high pressure feed and their bleed off to the return line.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

britinusa

How's this.
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

KWKloeber

Paul

I recommend Shields series 355 hose to customers.  You should pay about $7.50 - $8.00 a foot.

ken

Quote from: britinusa on April 09, 2017, 05:23:08 AM
Fuel Hose. 1 1/2" Internal Diameter, Diesel Below Deck.

Didn't realize there would be such wide range of types that cover those simple requirements.

Any recommendations?

Paul
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

Quote from: britinusa on April 09, 2017, 07:06:18 PM
How's this.

Paul

Does your fuel level sender also have a ground wire in addition to the tank bond?  Some do.

You could add the XP fuel bleed valve "loop" to your schematic if you want to get more precise.

Without making any comment either way, I'll note that many mechanics/owners recommend against a 2u primary filter, in favor is a 10u.  Note also that, if it's a Racor primary, its "2u" cartridge is not "2u" -- it is actually "4u" (99% or better at 4u) by today's rating methods.  Several years ago I did a desktop study of some top manufacturers that I was considering using and their diesel filter efficiencies.  Parker said the Racor "2u" is, get this, "more of a marketing name than a designation based on test data."  :shock: :shock:  Translated:  "It's our filter, and we'll call it whatever the hell we want to."

The secondary filter efficiencies hovered around 97% to 99% at 20u to 25u.  The Kubota/Universal had the lowest efficiency.   :cry: Fleetguard the highest (recommended by my Kb dealer at the time,)  :thumb: :thumb:  and Fram second best.  :thumb:
Wix (NAPA) and Purolator would not provide test results.  :x

Since it's "on-engine" the secondary will probably never reach it's rated efficiency because the filter cake (which contributes to the filtering capacity) is constantly being disturbed by the engine vibration.  It's on my list to mount mine off engine "just because."

cheers,
Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

britinusa

Dang, ordered the hose and its $17 plf.  :?

The sender does have a -ve connection that is wired to my Bonding block (thank you!)

There was a so-so bonding wire on the old plastic fitting (that I'm probably going to reuse) The wire went from the bonding tab on the top of the tank, then up the outside of the hose to the deck fill end.
Then it was stripped for about 4". The stripped wire was tucked inside between the hose and the plastic fitting, then it was turned backup inside the plastic fitting so that it could be seen by looking down the deck fill.

I"m vary familiar with the concept of static discharge through refueling hoses. In the Navy we would always plug in an earth bonding wire that stretched from the fuel station to the aircraft prior to connecting the fuel pressure hose to the aircraft.

To facilitate that process on our boat, I think I would have to have a bonding point where I could attach a wire to the fueling station. That's not going to happen - I should think every marine fuel station would freak out if I wanted to run my earth line to their fuel pump :shock:

As it happens, when I was at WM to get the hose yesterday (didn't have any, had to place an order that will arrive tomorrow) I met with a Marine Surveyor that asked what I was working on. I told him I was replacing the fuel fill hose and was buying a Stainless steel deck fill as I expected the old one to fall apart on removal. He advised me that they (surveyors) now have to inspect for a bonding line if the fuel deck fill is stainless steel.

Not sure if he knew it was Diesel, but he did know it was a sailboat.

I had posted a blog article earlier that day where I mentioned I was going to install a bonding wire from the deck fill to the -ve earth bus block by the engine.

The new stainless deck fill has a smaller outside diameter than the plastic one, and only about 1/2 of each screw hole will touch the rim of the old hole. So I'll have to make a flange if I want to use the Stainless fitting.

Just a 20 minute job.

:D

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

britinusa

Added Bleed Screw.
And listing Material Data.
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

britinusa

Just read the maintenance routines in the Universal manual (Don't beat me!)

QuoteChange the Fuel Pipes & Clamps every 2 years

The hose has 1985 on it!!!!!

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

KWKloeber

Quote from: britinusa on April 10, 2017, 03:03:57 PM
Just read the maintenance routines in the Universal manual (Don't beat me!)

QuoteChange the Fuel Pipes & Clamps every 2 years

The hose has 1985 on it!!!!!

Paul

The fill hose isn't "universal engine", it's "catalina boat"

Besides, I believe (at least one of) the Universal Ops Manuals speaks of keeping the radiator filled or some stupid thing like that -- was not prepared for a marine engine, nor was edited for that.  (we shall let no detail go unsweated.)

KWKloeber

Quote from: britinusa on April 10, 2017, 02:48:31 PM
Added Bleed Screw.

Paul.
well, not exactly.  There are essentially four fuel flow routes on the XP.  Hope this comes thru.

FILTER
|
|
(A)  from filter to injector pump.
|
|------(B) fuel bleed bypass ----------->|     
v                                                          |
INJECTOR PUMP-----(C)--- I1                |
INJECTOR PUMP-----(C)--- I2                |
INJECTOR PUMP-----(C)--  I3                |
                                                          (O) bleed valve
C) high pressure -                                 |
    IP to top of injectors.                        |
                                                           |
D) low pressure -                                 |
    collected fuel by injector banjos        |
                                                           |
<---------------------------------------- |
|
v
-----> injector 1 banjo --(D)--> banjo 2 --(D)---> banjo 3 ---(D)---------> TANK

britinusa

Before and After pics of my Racor Fuel Filter
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

britinusa

Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water