Refinishing Teak / Brightwork

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

On the lighter side of things.....

I recall about 60 years ago (give or take) mentioning that I wanted to drive a train.  Mom took it to heart but, despite spending a ton of money on school and getting a engineering license, I've still driven a train only once -- and then it was for only a few minutes (I won't mention the Amtrak line, location, engineer, lest the guy lose his job.)

Much later I wanted a sailboat.  I thought that meant I'd "sail" it? 
Instead I find I had learn to be a wood finishing expert, re-finishing expert, painter/laborer (I HATE tedious painting.) And then, after spending untold hours to make things look nice, I need to regularly repeat the distasteful practice (instead of "sailing".)  And then have to make or spend cash for others to make, and periodically replace, covers to hide the nice result, and/or spend time dismantling/re-mantling covers and protection and whatnots (before "sailing".)

I see a pattern.  When I have the spare cash -- PlasTeak, here I come!!   :wink:

-kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

As they say..."whatever floats your boat..." 8)
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ed Shankle

I agree with Noah. Annually I light sand and varnish with 1 coat. Occasionally I have gone 2 years without varnishing. Usually the cockpit sole starts to look a bit dull at the end of year 2. I also have grab rail covers, but don't always use them.
Regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

kwaltersmi

I've tried Cetol, Semco, varnish, natural, and teak oil. I'm currently using teak oil after an annual cleaning since the application is simple and a late summer (usually by August) touch up keeps things looking good.
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

Roland Gendreau

When my years of Cetol needed to be refreshed, I removed all the teak and brought it home.  I sanded/stripped it down, then applied 3 coats of Cetol, followed by 3 coats of Cetol gloss clear.

The clear gloss coat provides a hard durable layer plus UV protection.

It's been 3 years and it has required nearly zero maintenance.

Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Ron Hill

Roland : What did you do with the teak plugs that cover the mounting screws?? 
Ron, Apache #788

Bobg

I use Cetol, works fine for me, when I leave the boat for any length of time I slice swim noodles lengthwise and put those over the grab rails to keep sun off it, friction fit works good, plumbing pipe sleeves work too..If signature is put on properly it looks good and lasts for years, but difficult to apply, I tried it and couldn't get it down well, if I had the skills to install signature, thats what I would do, but cetol is inexpensive and a no brainer to put on and maintain
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands