ANL fuse common busbar

Previous topic - Next topic

Mas Tequila

I've been reading everything I can about doing an electrical upgrade this spring. I'm sure I've read every part of the electrical 101 at least 3 times, I've printed nearly every copy of the schematics and have drawn and re-drawn my own. One thing I found that rather intrigued was 3 ANL fuse holders that are connected by a common busbar which is credited to Mail Sail. Search as I might I haven't been able to find such a busbar anywhere, I guess I could make one easy enough by drilling out some copper bar stock but was wondering if anyone knew where I could find one.

Here's the link since I seen to be impaired at posting pictures:

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/blue-seas-buss-bars.183114/

Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

J_Sail

Maybe MaineSail will chime in. Someone asked the same question in a comment on MaineSail's photo site back in 2014, but no answer is posted.
http://www.pbase.com/image/140421721#comment_list
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/installing_a_marine_battery_charger

I'm curious, what specific loads do you have that would cause you to want to use 3 ANL fuses on the busbar? I assume all three would be for loads drawing from the busbar (vs one of them being for the battery cable that feeds the busbar). For the wiring connecting a bus bar to the batteries, putting an MRBF right on the battery works really well.

BlueSea's Safety Hub fuse blocks are great options where you need a combination of bus bar and fuses, and handle multiple fuses up to AMI and MIDI form factor, but not ANL. Depending on the nature of your loads, MIDI fuses in a Blue Sea safety hub might fit the bill.
https://www.bluesea.com/products/category/16/48/Fuse_Blocks/SafetyHub

Also, you may want to look at the postings related to Jon's and Noah's boats. Both did extensive electrical upgrades recently. Jon kept the original location of the master battery switch at the main panel, while Noah went with the more contemporary approach of putting a disconnect switch next to the batteries. Both came out really great.

Jon W

Looks like 3 BlueSea fuse blocks like Blue Sea PN 5005 tied together with a copper bar.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Jon W

I relocated the battery selector switch from the main distribution panel to the inboard wall of the battery compartment in my upgrade as well. A difference is I continued to use the 1/2/Both switch, but removed it from the charge circuit.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

J_Sail

I mis-spoke about the location of the Master Battery switch on Jon's boat. Both he and Noah moved the switch from the original main panel to the batteries. That shortens the battery cables and makes the layout more sane.

KWKloeber

k,

where/how do you want to use the 3-banger?  RC already explained what he did:
".......bussed together with copper bar stock ..........."

I guess you could buy a Bluesea 4-banger common buss bar (has (4) 1/4" posts,) remove the bar, drill to 5/16" (would give you a nice chrome-plated bar.) The 4th hole could be for your feed, or cut the bar and seal the exposed Cu on the end cut.

or
use a Bussman B109-7046-3 buss bar, enlarge holes to 5/16"

or
Or solidly mount (2) of the common buss (has (4) 1/4" posts)), 2.4" apart center-center, leave the bar on the feed side, remove it on the load side, use them (with a 1/4" flat washer on the studs) as your ANL fuse holders (fuses between the two buss bars.)

or
Use (2) maxi buss (has (4) 5/16" posts), mounted similar to above (and since the studs are 5/16", no flat washers needed.)

or
use bussman LMI fuse holders (modules from 1 to 6 banger, comes with the bar and integral flip covers on each fuse (might not need to use the input module, depending.)  Pretty slick.

lotsa ways to skin, depending on your where/how/why, trying to accomplish?

cheers,
other k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Mas Tequila

Like I said I've been reading everything I can on this subject, I have Jon's entire posting printed and bound in a three ring binder.

While I was wading through all the information that's out there on the subject I ran across a schematic on Main Sail's" how to" site and saw that he had ANL fuses linked to a common busbar. Then I ran across the picture in the link I posted which credited it to him. The schematic shows basically 5 circuits individually fused with ANL fuses though a common busbar, the alternator, MPPT controller, AC charger, DC panel and ACR.  I was thinking that if I moved the 1-2-B switch where Jon moved his, placed the ACR in the battery compartment and the fusing there as well I would be able to keep my wire runs to a minimum. If I could mount this within 7" of the batteries I would be set, if not I could always add a terminal fuse. I guess I could do something like this only using terminal fuses mounted to a common block if the block had the right spacing and proper diameter terminals. I would also need to make up a lexan cover either way but that's easy enough.

Ken that bussman system is just what I was looking for!!! Now if I just knew someone that sold that kind of thing :D
Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

KWKloeber

Quote from: Mas Tequila on March 11, 2017, 08:12:48 PM

Ken that bussman system is just what I was looking for!!! Now if I just knew someone that sold that kind of thing :D

mannnn I'm going to report you to the moderator for not listening!  :roll:
How many times do I have to say..............................    :donno:

yeah it's pretty slick.  It depends on what you want to connect. The midi fuse terminals are #10 post, vs 5/16" on the ANLs.

You don't have to be bound by the 7" in this case -- you can mount it up to 72" from a direct battery connection to if the cable is "protected" it's entire length.

-k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain