chainplate bolts

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

Yep That I can buy into.  1/4 for the vice grip, 1/4 for the work hardening bend.
The last time I did that it was 5/16" installing clutches. I threaded a die onto the machine screw instead of a nut, snapped and retreaded the burr backing it off.  They were buried so didn't need to finish them w/ an acorns.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

Nice Jon! I knew you weren't just blowing smoke tough guy! :clap
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jon W

Just trying to help. Now back to my propane locker project.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

If anyone's interested that 15$ HF angle grinder is now (drum roll) 10$ on Fri, Sat, Sun w/ coupon....

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

lazybone

Quote from: KWKloeber on February 23, 2017, 07:41:18 PM
If anyone's interested that 15$ HF angle grinder is now (drum roll) 10$ on Fri, Sat, Sun w/ coupon....

kk

You can't have too many angle grinders.  It's nice to have them set up with different cutting, grinding and wire wheels.
I don't understand the dremil fascination.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Phil Spicer

Dremel...small, compact, fits in small places, but it is light duty. It has it's place.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

KWKloeber

Quote from: Phil Spicer on February 24, 2017, 05:19:37 PM
   Dremel...small, compact, fits in small places, but it is light duty. It has it's place.

Not to mention (but I will) that although their speeds are in the same ballpark, a 4" wire wheel or sliver stainless cutting blade can tear up an arm pretty quick.  For the inexperienced, slower and steadier may be better than the ease of cutting with an angle grinder.  Quantity also plays into it.  If i'm trimming off one 1/4" in the saloon, I'd grab my "rotary tool" (a Skill brand.)  But if I'm doing a dozen, then the angle grinder.  Same for cleaning up threads -- one -- a rotary tool,  but a dozen -- an angle grinder clamped onto a plank or my stepladder.

kk