Bilge Drainage From Area Under Stuffing Box

Previous topic - Next topic

rmbrown

First, I just purchased my C34 a little less than a month ago, so I'm a newbie to this forum.  I've already found it to be incredibly useful and appreciate the info that's already captured here.  I'm going to ask a question that may well already be addressed but that I didn't find with a search.  I won't be offended by a link or search term that might get me there rather than having the conversation over again here!

As part of a comprehensive bilge cleaning effort, I started all the way aft and found that I had water sitting where the shaft leaves the hull.  I'm currently on the hard so I got in there and scrubbed where I could reach and hosed it out, expecting the water to drain to the bilge.  I was surprised when it instead filled the sump under the engine and threatened to overflow onto the floor boards.  I got the water out with a shop vac but I'm wondering if that's by design or whether I have some weep holes that are clogged.  Words of wisdom?

Mike Brown
1993 C34 Just Limin'
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

rmbrown

Well, I appreciate the reminder of the term, and I learned a lot, but I'm still befuddled.  I do have the limber hold from the v-berth locker into the bilge and I do have them underneath all flooring panels, but I'm not sure where they'd be between the shaft log/engine area and the bilge.  Under the flooring?  I crawled around and took pictures as far as I could reach but I'm coming up short.

Mike
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Noah

I am a Mk I owner. So some MkIi owners should respond. I do recall a factory drawing/bulletin and some discussion here about drilling these/more holes under the engine bed but I don't recall where. Someone will respond I'm sure.
Standard Rig

Noah

Standard Rig

Dave Spencer

Hi Mike,
Welcome to the forum.  There should be limber holes to allow drainage of drips from the stuffing box (for those of us who don't have dripless packing) to flow to the main bilge area.  Here's a couple of links including one showing a drawing for MkII boats.  Based on the year of your boat, I suspect you are close to my hull number so you and I have Mk 1.5 configuration that has some of the features of MkII boats.
http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=5209.0
http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/faq-drainhole.html
Hopefully some probing with a flashlight and a coat hanger will open up the small limber holes.

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

rmbrown

Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

lazybone

Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Dave S

I had the same problem when I bought my new-to-me 2000 MkII. Water puddled under the shaft and then overflowed past the engine and onto the cabin sole. I noticed water stains at the base of the teak engine compartment panels and figured I'd have to drill the hole described in the paper that Noah posted. After getting my face right next to the transmission (not easy), I discovered a clogged limber hole. Here's hoping you will too.
2000 Mk II #1471
s/v Breezin'
Annapolis, MD

rmbrown

Thanks!  I'm inspired to climb in and look closer. :)
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Jim Hardesty

I also had some limber holes blocked from saw dust and small wood and fiberglass chips.  In my quest for a very dry bilge a keep a kitchen type block sponge under the shaft log packing seal.  Stays there well and catches the drips from the seal. Traps them there long enough to evaporate. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

rmbrown

If anyone has pictures of said limber holes, I'd be grateful.  I hate to drill holes where none are needed but I'm not seeing anything!
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

rmbrown

Well, I found my missing limber hole.  I can get a screwdriver about 1.5 inches, then it stops hard, almost as if someone started drilling and stopped.
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

rmbrown

Assuming that either that hole is clogged or it never got completely drilled.  I guess I'll just buy a long bit and keep it angled parallel to the bottom?
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Braxton

Does anyone know if there is any coring in that stringer?   I am not on the boat and I don't remember if the stringer is thick enough to have anything inside.    If it does then drilling out the hole may be a bad idea.
Braxton Allport
1988 #805, Ballou - Tacoma WA