Winch Service & Main halyard hoisting issues

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

Jon, did you have wire halyards before?

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

"Different strokes" as they say. I'm not an engineer nor a rigger but, been around boats all my life, and IMO our boats have pretty small mainsails and the consequent loading forces...? I would think Garhauer would have engineered their replacement BB sheaves to handle the load. Wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong! :? 8)
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jon W

I purchased the boat with rope halyards. They have some age, but in good shape. I don't know what it had before. I recall him saying something about wire halyards, but don't remember the details.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

Quote from: Noah on February 25, 2017, 09:29:22 PM
"Different strokes" as they say. I'm not an engineer nor a rigger but, been around boats all my life, and IMO our boats have pretty small mainsails and the consequent loading forces...? I would think Garhauer would have engineered their replacement BB sheaves to handle the load. Wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong! :? 8)

Yeah, I'm not qualified either to form an opinion on the veracity of the big boys' concern, just that the reasoning made sense (my common sense rule) at face value.  Whether in this case a bb sheaves is marginal enough to make a difference, I dunno.
It's the headsail sheaves that control, not the main.  most always the highest load if carrying a #1.  The concern on the main was slippage/creep, not re: the sheaves.

(in sqft)
FSA 100% - B-36.7 =302; C-34 =297, same difference, same concern. J/120 =366
FSA #1     - B-36.7 =453; C-34 =446; close.                                     J/120 =459  still in the ballpark
MSA         - B-36.7 =354; C-34 =226;                                              J/120 =414  yowsa. (common practice is to double clutch it or sheath or recore the haly extended a bit on either side of where it falls on the line clutch.)

The Gh bb single block that is closest to the masthead sheave, is rated 2000-lb plus.  I would think the masthead sheave would be rated similar (no rating provided in the catalog.)  Maybe "much ado about nothing"?  Who knows.

"all I ever wanted to do, is drive a train.  and look where I ended up."

kk

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Craig Illman

Still off subject. Another option other than Catalina Direct: http://www.zephyrwerks.com/   This is where I got masthead replacement sheaves for my C30, a recommendation from my rigger in Anacortes. I need to investigate whether I can replace the turning block sheaves for the jib sheets.

Craig

Ron Hill

Guys : I know of a couple of C34 owners that have taken an extra Lewmar #30 and mounted it on the starboard side of the mast.
They use it to not only raise the main but also crank someone up the mast.  They say it really reduces the effort needed as compared to using the #30 on the coach top.

I went to all BB sheaves (top and base of mast) and even moved the 90 degree turning blocks (BB) aft so that angle was only about 30/40 degrees.  It did some good.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Paulus

I was out to the boat today and did a few maintenance jobs.  Spoke with the rigger at Torresen and he recommended #150 harken cam cleat.(they sell harken products).  He thought it was a good idea to mount the cam cleat  one line width away from were the halyard exits and goes to the turning block, about 2' down from the exit hole.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

KWKloeber

Paul,

Good to see that the "professionals" mirror my thinking., Even if it is easypeazy stuff.
Again I don't know exactly what angle your halyard  to the lift the block makes at the exit, but 2 feet might be the minimum.
I think  it's something you just have to ihold it in place and see how it lines up it could be 2 foot might not quite be enough Far enough from the exit.
You want to make sure it pulls away from the cleat so that it "pops off" and around the clamshell 

kk

Noah

"Clam"   :?:or "Cam"? :D
Standard Rig

Noah

Ken-- if you look at the link in Reply #13 first page of this thread it points to a thread whete you will see where Rick Allen placed his cam cleat that WORKS according to all reports.
Standard Rig

lazybone

Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Noah

Yes, but the Harken 150 his rigger recommended is a "Cam" not "Clam".
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Quote from: Noah on February 27, 2017, 02:45:27 PM
Yes, but the Harken 150 his rigger recommended is a "Cam" not "Clam".

OK. I take back the term "professionals." 
And he sells them?  sheesh.

KWKloeber

Quote from: Noah on February 27, 2017, 01:55:30 PM
Ken-- if you look at the link in Reply #13 first page of this thread it points to a thread whete you will see where Rick Allen placed his cam cleat that WORKS according to all reports.

Yep, I saw that before, but not having any frame of reference, hard to tell since my stick is different.
Looks to be more than 2' below the exit - is it?  How far would you say?

k

Noah

This should tell the story.  Only photo I had readily available.
Standard Rig