Outboard Rail Mount

Previous topic - Next topic

sailr4

I just bought a new outboard and need to find a mounting bracket for the rail.  I have a 1989 MKI and an 81 lb motor (9.9HP). I tried the plastic bracket (for 8HP) from WM and it didn't fit due to the "T rail" not being square. Do most people custom make their brackets? I refuse to pay Edson $300+.

Thanks

Rob
Rob Fowler,1989 C34 #889 Tall/Wing, M25XP - No Worries, Coronado, CA

I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

mark_53

I'm not sure what you mean about the T rail not being square but I use a plastic rail mout engine mount on my 1989 mk1 with a 8hp.

sailr4

The T cutout inside the mount did not line up with the rail.  The top rail was at an angle.  What brand Mount did you use?  Did you have to cut out the slots to make it fit?

I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

mark_53

I'm away from my boat but as I recall, there is no T mount. Just a notch for the horizontal rail to fit in.

sailr4

Found these 3 styles... Bracket 1 is cheaper than the Edson bracket (2) and doesn't require a "T" rail (3)

KWKloeber

Quote from: sailr4 on February 11, 2017, 10:15:15 AM
I tried the plastic bracket (for 8HP) from WM
I refuse to pay Edson $300+.

I know that before I paid 350 for a stainless bracket, or 50 for a plastic one, I'd buy a 1/2" thick poly cutting board and make one.  I'd either:

Double it up and use 3-4 stainless straps (2 on horiz, 1-2 on vert), mount it on one side of the rail(s)
or
Sandwich the rails, cut strips as needed to build the sandwich meat out to fit the 1" rail, and thru-bolt using tee nuts.

I've used those poly cutting boards when at the boat (hr away from home) to mount battery boxes on and in a pinch to replace rotted mounting boards for...........  whatever. 

The downside is for exterior use they aren't UV stabilized, so will show a crazing pattern after a few years.   Or pay for a pc of starboard.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

Here is what mine looks like. Checkout the bracket (not my daughter, intently docking the boat for her first time). No "T" rail on my boat.  I have hinge down ladder for sugar scoop "walkover" transom.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

I see #3 for $32 - that would be on the cusp of my making one for a $10 in materials, but then I like making things  :-) 

Note you can use not at the Tee, like Noah's.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jon W

Hi Rob, I ran into the same problem on my 1987. Both tubing rails slope downwards as they go outboard so nothing with a 90 deg groove will fit.

I bought some 1" thick oak from Home Depot, cut two pieces the size I wanted, traced the tubing onto it and routed out the groove. The two pieces sandwich the top and vertical rail. Held together with countersunk SST machines screws and nylon lock nuts, then finished with Cetol. Not an exact match with the rest of the cockpit, but good enough and much cheaper than teak.

Photo is attached. Not the best view, but you can see the outboard mounted on it in the background. If you would like a more direct photo, I am taking the boat out tomorrow so can get it. (The oak needs cleaning.)
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

sailr4

Thanks, Jon. Your photo did not post, but I get what your saying.  My concern is supporting an 80lb outboard and not having to re make it every few years. I leaning toward buying the "cheaper" two-rail mount, but have not ruled out making one out of star-board, if I can find a small piece of 3/4.

Jon W

OOPs I guess it would help if I actually attached the photo.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Stu Jackson

This is ours, 9.9 hp 2 stroke engine, 74# IIRC.  I plumb forget whether it was there when we bought the boat 18 years ago or whether I bought it at WM, but they don't make the wooden ones anymore, I don't think.  Have you tried a Google search (internet-wide, not just here)?  I cetoled it in 1998.  Could use a touchup, but the wood's just fine.  Oak is a good chocie, too, any hardwood.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mark_53

Quote from: sailr4 on February 11, 2017, 12:21:48 PM
Found these 3 styles... Bracket 1 is cheaper than the Edson bracket (2) and doesn't require a "T" rail (3)

I'm using bracket #3 positioned on the rail so the T is not used. Not a problem as long as your engine shaft is longer than rail height.

Ron Hill

Rob : Here is what I did when I went to a larger outboard and found that the new motor clamps were too wide for the old mount:

I cut a piece of 1/2" or 3/4" starboard to fit the width of the new outboards screw down clamps and screwed it to the old mount.  Worked just fine and held the larger outboard in place.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

sailr4

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I will attempt to make this... see pic... out of two pieces of 3/4" Red Oak sandwiched together.