Source for fixed port replacements

Previous topic - Next topic

kwaltersmi

I've seen the topic of fixing leaking fixed ports and replacing fixed ports come up multiple times over the last couple of years but haven't seen any easy sources for getting the parts. Anyone ever order these: https://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?52002/Catalina+Recessed+Window+Replacements
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

KWKloeber

As far as "parts", I know that on the C30 recessed windows, everyone that has chimed in about replacing them have just gone to a local glazing shop and have them order and then cut the plexi to the existing window size.  The adhesive sealant is silicone -- other than that, there's not much to "parts."  They have either made kraft paper or cardboard templates or given the shop the old plexi as the templates once the raw plexi came in.  A WHOLE lot less expensive than buying ready cut plexi replacements.  IIRC becki or someone else on here was "recently" talking about doing that, and may have gone ahead and done that?  Some have used screws to hold them in while curing (removed and sealed holes w/ silicone), some have just temporarily taped them, and one or two made wooden jigs to hold the plexi in place until the silicone cured.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

Sailboat Owners COULD be a good choice for these. Some things to consider: make sure they have the proper edge bevel and that they come with spacers to prevent sealent from squeezing all the way out. And, if you have screws in your current windows and want to use again with the new windows, will they drill holes in them and will the holes match existing? Drilling holes in this material can be tricky and two much pressure tightening screws can crack it too.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

kwaltersmi

Quote from: KWKloeber on February 09, 2017, 07:27:23 AM
a local glazing shop

So what's a glazing shop? If I could get them made for significantly less than the $590 in the link above, I'm all for it.
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

Fred Koehlmann

A glazing shop is typically where they cut glass and make and repair windows. Not sure about how it is in the US, but here in Toronto I went to a plastics fabricator shop (http://plasticworld.ca), and they cut and beveled the windows we needed to replace on our old C&C 30. I also bought the DOW Corning #795 white silicon from them. (https://blog.koehlmann.ca/marine-maintenance/replacing-the-main-port-windows/)

Check you local plastic shops. They don't need to specifically know about anything "marine" to get the job done. Giving them a template, I found to be the preferred way to go (so the ports weren't windowless in the meantime).
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

KWKloeber

Quote from: kwaltersmi on February 09, 2017, 09:36:30 AM
So what's a glazing shop? If I could get them made for significantly less than the $590 in the link above, I'm all for it.

"glazing" is simply (the art of?) putting glass into some sort of a frame.

I'm not sure if you're near becki, but here is the post on a shop she contacted. maybe she'll chime in or PM her about how it went.  The factory drawing of the fix is on the wiki.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,8937.msg64515.html#msg64515

Or search locally for a "commercial glass" or "commercial door" type of business -- they all usually do both glass and acrylic.

Or chat with a local commercial contractor for a recommendation -- they all use subcontractors.

Cheers
Ken

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jon W

FYI - the DOW 795 sealant used to install the fixed portlites is available at sealantengineering.com for $6.85 per 10.3 oz tube. Compare that to Catalina's price of $18.95 per tube. They estimated ~ 4 tubes per portlite. A big savings.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Ed Shankle

I got mine from Select Plastics, who I've also used for replacing hatch lenses. They do very good work.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Noah

Ed- did you send them a template (or your existing windows) or did they have a template on file? Did you opt for screws or not, and if using screws, how did you handle them vis-a-vis hole placements.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ed Shankle

They prefer sending them the portlight to be replaced, so as to make an exact duplicate. But they will work with a template, which is what I did.
I wanted the screw holes and they contacted me to be absolutely sure that is what I wanted. They lined up perfectly. Also, of course, they put the bevel on the perimeter edge of the portlight.
I know many on the forum opt not to use the screws to avoid squeezing out too much adhesive. But since I already had them, I didn't want to introduce something new, like the spacers creating a gap in the bead or visually showing thru from the outside. Right or wrong logic, that's what I did and the installation went fine, no excess squeezing of adhesive.

Regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA