Wheel Storage

Previous topic - Next topic

PLKennedy

The boat is one month from commissioning in Marblehead.  Someone made a sugestion that I get the Edson system for taking the wheel off and storing it on a stantion, so as to give more room at anchor or dock.  I can see myself when the wind picks up at 200P trying to attach the wheel in the event of a dragging incident.  On th eother hand, it would create more space in the cockpit.

Peter Kennedy, Snow Goose, #1570 :confused:

amoreau

Hi Peter,  We have the Edson steering wheel holder on our stbd rail.  It works great!  We bought the quick spin off for the wheel lock on the pedestal also.  Good quality products.
Al & Candy Moreau  (Dun Wish'n) 1488 Borden light Marina

shekinahsailor

Peter, we routinely store our wheel and the added convenience is great.  However I agree with you that the fear of a quick emergency could cause quite a nightmare.  Whenever I have concerns that a situation could develop, I bypass the convenience of wheel storage and leave it attached.  Putting the wheel back doesn't take me more than about 30 seconds.

Stu Jackson

Peter

Why bother?  

You have so many other things to do, like:

dinghies and engine choices, diesel engine maintenance, sail trim, battery charging and/or inverter equipment, galley sink drains, interior and exterior lighting improvements, thru hull lubrication, roller furling fairleads, head anti-siphon loops, minimizing the size of the salon main table, inverter/charger choices, anchor rollers, anchor size, prop type and pitch, mattresses, cushion material & thickness, bleeding the diesel, boat theme, cutless bearing grief, packless stuffing box, burbing the engine raw and fresh water systems, leaks, anchor locker separation, battery capacity and type, oilingh everything, buying and using Lanocote, microwave size, hanging locker or shelves, sleep inside or out, emergency tiller, where to put the "all of the stuff," sleep aft or forward cabin, NDZ or poop overboard, stargaze or have fun, jib fairleads and cheek blocks, and the dreaded Autohelm 4000 or Navico choice.

For now, keep the wheel where it normally lives.  You have less chance of dropping it overboard.

I understand that the newer boats have a great BIG cockpit.  If the space seems restricted, hop around, it'll help with your aerobics.

On a more serious note, "don't sweat the small stuff," it will come to you as you learn your new environment.

Best of all worlds:  You're together and you have a new boat.  What could be more fun?

Have a great season and welcome to the C34 World.  (Just another engineer talking, of course!)

Alternate Answer: instead of commissioning your new boat, just keep reading the fact-packed IC34 CD!  Zzzzzz.....

Best regards,  Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

PLKennedy

Good point, Stu.  I am a gageteer of the maximum kind, but the logic of your argument has convinced me.  

Delivery has been put off two 1/2 weeks.  Hopefully it will be commissioned byMemorial Day weekend.

I thought the Catboat Association had a closely knit group, but the c34's have it beat by a country mile.

Peter

c34member

I'm exhausted.  Swap "fishing" for "microwave selection" and add "tune the rigging" and I'm with you.