Prop Shaft Replacement Experience / Recomendations...

Previous topic - Next topic

Braxton

Quote from: cmainprize on February 04, 2017, 04:06:32 PM
We did a cutlass bearing, federal coupling, and Feathering  J prop upgrade 4 years ago.  In hindsight I should have done the shaft at the same time.  Not sure what boats are able to get the shaft past the rudder, but I can tell you on my fin keel MK11 it was not going to happen.  The extra 1/4 of play I got by pushing out the bearing first made it closer but still a long way from "sliding past"  I read the articles first saying it could be done as well!  I would like to hear from a MK11 boat that made it work.  The worst part about dropping the rudder is digging the hole.  If you are on pavement your kinda screwed.  Once you dig a hole deep enough to clear the rudder shaft, it's a 30 minute job to drop the rudder.  Gives you a good reason to do a full steering system inspection while you are jammed into the aft lockers.

Cheers,

CM

We just had them lift the boat with the travel lift.   It was well worth the 100 bucks or so that he charged for it.   He had the boat in the air for all of 2 minutes.   You just have to make sure you have the steering quadrant loose enough and positioned in such a way that you will be able to slide the rudder back up.     In the end it was pretty easy peasy lemon squeezey.
Braxton Allport
1988 #805, Ballou - Tacoma WA