Rain Running Down Mast Into Cabin

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Sutherland

On my mast (as I suspect with yours as well), there's a recessed channel in which the main sail cars travel up and down the mast.  My mast is keel stepped, so this channel runs all the way down into the cabin and into the bilge.  So too does the rain run down this channel and into my cabin, where it deflects off of a stop-screw, and splashes down on my dinette table and on the floor.  Does anyone have any neat ideas of how to block this channel above deck so the water runs OUT of the channel before it enters the cabin?  All I can think of is maybe stuffing some backing rod and silicon in the channel.  Thanks All  8)
Dunrobin II, 1986 C34 MK1 #170

britinusa

Mark,
If you have the Mk1 (good idea to add info like that to your signature so that we don't keep asking)

The PO used a couple of tubes of silicone around the base of the mast - horrid stuff, but it does the job.

We still get some rain water in the bilge, but I don't think it's coming in through the cabin top,  could be from the many openings in the mast.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Mark Sutherland

I agree on the silicone, it's not my first choice for a solution, hence the post here.  For years I never knew precisely where the water was coming from until the other day when it happened to rain while I was on the boat.  I could see it running right down that car channel in the mast, then "bouncing" off of a machine screw/bolt and splashing on the table and floor.
Dunrobin II, 1986 C34 MK1 #170

KWKloeber

Not having eyes on, I'd think about electrician's putty, or butyl, or mortite as possibilities. If you need a sealant I'd run from silicone -- unless the channel was filler under controlled conditions, ie mast down, a dam on either side to make a form.   A pic?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

All you need to do is put a glob/dab of whatever your poison of choice is (polysulfide, butyl, silicone, bathtub caulk?) in the track/slot on deck at the top of your mast boot.  That should keep the "track slot water" out of the boat and on deck. You will still get some rainwater in the bilge from other openings in the mast. In addition to the standard vinly/rubber hose clampled-on mast boot, I have a Sunbrella canvas cover boot as well, which keeps the UV off the mast boot and my "glob of goop" track plug.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

kwaltersmi

'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

Bobg

I used a clear product called Lexan, fairly inexpensive, and really does the trick, I've used it on moon roof leaks on cars, and, my keel stepped mast, no more leaks
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

patrice

Hi
Same as Noah.
Have a mast boot that seal mast to roof, but there is some clear caulking made by a company ZIP.  It is a none permanent type caulk to seal the track.
Nice and does the job
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~