AFT WATER TANK???

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt.Jim

Purpose and the capacity???
Any idea...
Is it connected to the main one under the dinette seating?
Capt. Jim Davis
KISMET '87 C34 - Hull #369 - Fin Keel

Dave Spencer

Hi Jim,
Page 37 of the Mk 1 Owner's Manual shows the aft tank to be 43 USG.  On my boat, the aft tank and the stbd tank are connected via a valve manifold allowing me to select either the aft, stbd, both or neither to feed the fresh water pump.  The valves are also shown on the diagram on P37.  My valves are accessed via the fold down cover that I have underneath the cutlery drawers between the sink and the stove.  I never select "both" but draw from either the aft or stbd tank one at a time.  Hope this helps. As with many things on our boats, yours (or mine) may have been modified by a PO.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Capt.Jim

Thanks Dave!
I've had no idea since I do not have an owner's manual nor I checked one on the web yet.

If the aft one is 43 Gal. do you know what is the capacity for the one under the dinette settee?

BTW Happy New Year!
Capt. Jim Davis

Dave Spencer

28 USG for the stbd tank.  We have lots of fresh water aboard when the tanks are full.  I tend to leave my aft tank empty when I make the 60nm journey across Georgian Bay and top up the tank when I get there. 
Happy NY to you too.

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Noah

Jim- perhaps you weren't aware that the 1987 MK I owners manual is on "our" website...
Here you go.
http://www.c34.org/manuals/1988/1988-C34-Owners.pdf
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Capt.Jim

Quote from: Noah on December 31, 2016, 10:49:02 PM
Jim- perhaps you weren't aware that the 1987 MK I owners manual is on "our" website...
Here you go.
http://www.c34.org/manuals/1988/1988-C34-Owners.pdf

Yayy!! Literally this is the best present I received in 2017 from  :santa !!!  :clap
Capt. Jim Davis

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Capt.Jim on January 01, 2017, 11:56:06 AM

Yayy!! Literally this is the best present I received in 2017 from  :santa !!!  :clap

Jim,

We made this a sticky topic so new folks would read it:

A Quick Start Guide -- a.k.a. Too Much Information on this Website

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5260.0.html

Hope you can find some time to wander around the 'site. 

Think of it as a good winter boat project.  :D :D :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ekutney

BACKGROUND:

I have a 1986 which was supplied with two water tanks, 1 under the V berth & 1 under the setee stbd side.  There was also a water bladder under the aft berth which I removed.

QUESTION:

Has anyone ever considered or attempted to add an aft water tank to a boat that does NOT have a removable aft bulkhead in the aft cabin?
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Ron Hill

Ed : I don't believe so. I think it would be too much work to make your aft stationary panel into a removable panel.
I've only heard of owners that have added a small (10/15 gal?) bladder tank in the aft lazerette.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ekutney

Ron,

I agree, my concern is the support required for the shelf the 43 gal tank sits on.  At 8 lbs per gallon that is a lot of weight & I have not been able to find any pics of what it looks like.  I did find some pics of a hard tank installed under the aft berth but have not been able to get a Ronco tank that looks like it would fit.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ekutney

Does anyone have a better picture of the shelf that supports the aft water tank?  The picture in the link provided shows the teak panel removed and aft water tank with some of the shelf but it is not clear how it connects to the hull as described.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

Edmund Burke

Gregory M

Quote from: Ekutney on January 08, 2017, 04:15:29 PM
Does anyone have a better picture of the shelf that supports the aft water tank?  The picture in the link provided shows the teak panel removed and aft water tank with some of the shelf but it is not clear how it connects to the hull as described.
I hope that helps....BTW. If I were to make new aft tank  I would make "V" shape bottom of it.
Gregory, "Luna Rossa", #1063, 1990, T.Rig Mk 1.5, fin keel. Universal M 35,  Rocna 15,
Penetanguishene ON.

Ekutney

Gregory,

Thanks much.  I agree with Ron's previous suggestion; it is an involved task to make the aft bulkhead removable & would require some extensive work to put in a shelf for a rear water tank.  I will most likely end up putting a 20 gal water bladder under the aft berth.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

Edmund Burke

patrice

Hi,

If you go with a tank under the bert.
Maybe something to look at, is make a mokup using cardboard to see if you can put in the finish tank in place.
Once done take final measure and send a sketch to RONCO.
They can make one if they don't already have someting close to your need.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~