AFT WATER TANK???

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

ED- what is in the area behind your permanent aft bulkhead? Is it just "empty wasted space"? How do access it now, through the helm seat/lasarette? Maybe you could make a door through the bulkhead, instead of a removeable bulkhead and use that area for storage or a bladder tank? Just spitballing here.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ekutney

Noah,

I have been thinking along exactly the same lines as your "spitballing".  I have been deep in the lazerette & there is lots of wasted space there, used for nothing.  I think building a shelf for a water tank is a more involved modification than I want to do but putting in a door in the aft berth to access some of that space for storage makes good sense, I need to wait until the weather warms up before I can crawl back in there.  I've also thought of a water bladder both in the same area or under the aft berth. 

There was a 55 gal bladder under the aft berth when I bought it but it was really old & had all kinds of "stuff" in it when I emptied it.  The bladder was too big, in my opinion, because getting to the mounting blocks at the corners back aft was very tight & it almost covered the shaft log.  In fact two of the starboard wood blocks it was attached to had come loose from the hull.

I need to think more about my options but the idea of a door to access the area is a good one, just need to think about the structural impact of cutting a hole in the aft bulkhead.  I have also been thinking of other areas where a small door could provide easier access to current storage space. 

Whatever I decide or contemplate will be shared here before the first hole is cut, I like/appreciate the vast experience here.

Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Stu Jackson

Ed,

I remember your issues about your bladder tank.  I am aware of a few C34 skippers who had one, and I'll search in my own archives for one I called "Beckie's Bladder" and let you know.

There are no structural issues putting a hole in that aft wooden "wall" because it is only cosmetic.  One of our skippers from San Francisco took his boat to Mexico and emptied the entire aft cabin, including that aft wall and the one to the fuel tank, and made it a storage/work room.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ekutney

Stu,

The art cabin bulkhead is not teak on my boat, it is fiberglass.  I need to search for teak doors & explore potential alternatives.  I really don't understand why all the open space was wasted when storage space is such a premium.  I like the idea of hanging a door to allow use as storage, just need to build some type of cavity so things don't bounce around & end up doing damage to anything. 

It might be a potential location for a bladder but that is a good amount of weight that would require a sturdy mechanical structure to prevent it from doing damage in rough seas. 

I really need to think about options before I do anything.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Stu Jackson

Ed,

Sorry, I forgot about your glass there, it's been awhile since your posts about that.

FWIW here are pictures of that boat I mentioned.  Couldn't find the bladder pictures yet.

I forget if I ever suggested this: call Gerry Douglas and ask him.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ekutney

Stu,

Thank you for the pictures.

I never thought of actually calling Gerry, I understand he is very approachable.  I am located near Annapolis & have been told by many he sometimes attends the Annapolis Boat Show, I stopped by the Catalina area during the last show & was very disappointed in the lack of engagement with any of the people.  I just assume I hit them on a bad day, no worries.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

Edmund Burke

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Stu Jackson on January 09, 2017, 03:49:27 PM

I am aware of a few C34 skippers who had one, and I'll search in my own archives for one I called "Beckie's Bladder" and let you know.t cabin, including that aft wall and the one to the fuel tank, and made it a storage/work room.

Ed,

Found it:

Ekutney

That is exactly the same water bladder I removed.  I still have it & was wondering if it could still be used because it doesn't leak & I could clean it out.  It's just that it is 30 yrs old & bigger than I want.  Thoughts?

After all, it did hold up for 30 yrs already... But
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

Edmund Burke

Noah

Lots of fresh water "bladder" tank solutions available out there; including the brand you have--from Go2Marine--as well as those made by Vetus, Plastimo, etc. are available from a variety of vendors.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig