rope clutches

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBMusik

I am looking to replace a clutch to the right of the companionway.  I see that Catalina Direct has the originals with the same bolt pattern.

Has anyone found a better clutch with the same bolt spacing?

What is the conventional wisdom? Go ahead and drill new holes or replace with the original model?

Thanks, Dave
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Ron Hill

Dave : look for a rope clutch that does not chaff the line, like a Lewmar clutch. 

Even if the holes do not exactly match, just use a stainless fender washer that will cover the other hole (fill the unused hole with epoxy).

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Steve_in_lex

It sounds like you're talking about a standing rigging clutch, but fwiw, last season I replaced a traditional rope clutch with a pair of Spinlock cam cleats for either end of the traveler.  Their quick release rules out using them for lines like halyards and maybe sheets, but they're great for the frequent adjustment of the traveler because you don't need two hands to release the line.
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

Stu Jackson

I think Steve meant to say running rigging.

Instead of CD go directly to Garhauer.  I also added a clutch years ago for our mainsheet to replace the stupid clam cleat, used a Lewmar.  Two of the four holes lined up.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

DaveBMusik

This is the one I am looking to replace. It is currently used for the main halyard.

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/954_773/rope-clutch-single.cfm
Dave Burgess
Water Music
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Stu Jackson

Dave, that looks just like the Garhauer sheetstoppers.  Just compare pricing.  Look, clutches are a COMMODITY. Some folks "swear" that certain brands eat rope and others never do.  I believe, based on the way most of us use our boats, that is an urban myth.

Your boat, your choice.   :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ekutney

Dave,

I replaced both sides last season, the starboard side was a single & the port side was a double.  I bought the ones from CD because I thought they would be a drop in replacement & use the same holes.  WRONG!!  One hole lined up for the single & 2 for the double.  I had to fill with epoxy & redrill the other side, so much for a drop in replacement. They are about 1/16-1/8" off the original clutch.  Even so mine were about 30 yrs old & if they lasted that long then replacing with the original should be fine.  If I had to do it over I would have replaced both sides with doubles, also CD pricing was $50 for single & $100 for the double..
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

DaveBMusik

I just saw some Spinlocks which have 2 3/4" bolt holes. I am going to try to look at them in person at Defender.
Dave Burgess
Water Music
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Craig Illman

I have a Garhauer double (circa 1990) in the garage and I just measured the bolt spacing to be 2-13/16". It was replaced with a new triple a couple of years ago and I'm confident that I just drilled and tapped two additional holes and reused the existing four. From the starboard side on my C30.

Craig 

DaveBMusik

Quote from: Craig Illman on December 27, 2016, 03:53:26 PM
I have a Garhauer double (circa 1990) in the garage and I just measured the bolt spacing to be 2-13/16". It was replaced with a new triple a couple of years ago and I'm confident that I just drilled and tapped two additional holes and reused the existing four. From the starboard side on my C30.

Craig

Craig, was your triple a Garhauer and did you get it. From C.D. ?
Dave Burgess
Water Music
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Craig Illman

A Garhauer direct from Garhauer

Gary Brockman

I replaces my original Lewmars with Spinnlocks two years ago and the holes lined up perfectly.
Squall
1986 Hull #231
Tall Rig/Fin Keel - Elliptical Rudder
M25XPB - Flexofold 2 Blade 15x10
Marina del Rey, California

Noah

While CD can be a good source for some original equipment and hard to find items Catalina accessories/parts, I have found it's best to go directly to Garhauer to purchase  their gear. Better/Good pricing, and a very knowledgable, helpful group.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

DaveBMusik

Quote from: Gary Brockman on December 27, 2016, 10:19:10 PM
I replaces my original Lewmars with Spinnlocks two years ago and the holes lined up perfectly.

Did you use the XAS or XTS's ?

Quote from: Noah on December 27, 2016, 10:21:53 PM
While CD can be a good source for some original equipment and hard to find items Catalina accessories/parts, I have found it's best to go directly to Garhauer to purchase  their gear. Better/Good pricing, and a very knowledgable, helpful group.

Actually, prices are identical...
Dave Burgess
Water Music
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Bob K

Dave,
I had a similar experience as Ed - last week I replaced my original Garhaeur double with a new Garhauer triple.  The hole pattern has shifted by 1/16". The old were 2 11/16 vs new 2 5/8.  Drilled new holes and was done with it.
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay