Outboard mount weight limit

Previous topic - Next topic

Stucker

Hey just bought a 2003 mkII.  Wondering if anyone knows the max weight for this outboard mount?  I have a Mercury 9.9 2 stroke that must weigh between 75 and 80 lbs. Also, how do I know what hull number I have? I assume it says on the hull serial number?
Thanks!
Scott
Scott Tucker
2003 C34 MK II
Hull #1654
Toronto/1000 Islands

Dave Spencer

Congratulations on your new Catalina 34.   :D  Hull number is etched on the starboard side near the rubrail at the stern.  A decoder is here at reply #4.  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7202.msg48774.html#msg48774  In your case, it will be 4 digits.  If the sails are original, the hull number and the numbers on the sail will be the same.   I don't know about the motor mount but a 9.9hp 2 stroke would weigh less than some of the lower hp 4 strokes that are now common for dinghies.  I'd be surprised if you had a problem - especially since you have a new style mount that has the engine lower and better reinforced than the typical mounting location high up on the pushpit on older boats.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Ron Hill

Scott : I have a friend that has a 9 hp Yamaha 4 stroke and has had no problem on the stern rail of a MK1 C34.

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Stucker on December 15, 2016, 12:21:29 PM
....how do I know what hull number I have? I assume it says on the hull serial number?

Scott

Welcome!  :clap

The hull number should also be on your mainsail unless the PO had new sails made without the insignia and #.

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

Congrats on the new boat! Perhaps a dumb question, but have you checked that your motor will mount/fit between the pushpit rails with the mounting on the lower rail? :?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stucker

Scott Tucker
2003 C34 MK II
Hull #1654
Toronto/1000 Islands

patrice

:clap

Congrats for your new one.

Also, since you found hull number   :D
Add your boat decription in your signature, it's nice to know when we answer questions.
Check other's sign to have an idea.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Jim Hardesty

Congratulations.  Shamrock is a sister ship and I'm a very happy owner.  You may want to search here for how some of us have done the motor lift.  Easy mounting.  Don't think that a Mercury 9.9 two stroke will be a problem.  I used a 4 hp four stroke and was no problem.
Welcome,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Jeff Tancock

I've had a 9.9 Evinrude 2 stroke mounted on the top rail with one of those white plastic mounts for 18 years. No problems
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

Jon W

Congratulations and welcome to the group. Lots of great information and support here.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Stucker

Quote from: Noah on December 15, 2016, 05:58:35 PM
Congrats on the new boat! Perhaps a dumb question, but have you checked that your motor will mount/fit between the pushpit rails with the mounting on the lower rail? :?

Good question.... I bought the boat in September and had it shipped 700 km in October so it's been on a cradle since;(. I guess I will find out in the spring!  It's going to be a long winter waiting to use this beauty!
Scott Tucker
2003 C34 MK II
Hull #1654
Toronto/1000 Islands

Jim Hardesty

Here is a picture showing my little 2hp Honda.  Don't see that you could mount a motor lower.  Think the only thing to be concerned with is if you were in a rough sea.  Then you may see stress where the rail attaches to the fiberglass.  Only real problem with the aft seats is that the pushpit can get crowded, life sling, outboard motor, gps antena, MOB pole, and grill.
Are you in Toronto or the 1000 islands?  Just wondering.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

Jim Hardesty

After seeing my picture.  The pushpits are to have people sitting on them.  The outboard motor would be less weight.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
sailing Lake Erie
Erie, PA

Stucker

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on December 17, 2016, 06:58:05 AM
Here is a picture showing my little 2hp Honda.  Don't see that you could mount a motor lower.  Think the only thing to be concerned with is if you were in a rough sea.  Then you may see stress where the rail attaches to the fiberglass.  Only real problem with the aft seats is that the pushpit can get crowded, life sling, outboard motor, gps antena, MOB pole, and grill.
Jim

Live in Toronto but the boat is in 1000 Islands. We drive 2+ hours to sail down there.
Scott Tucker
2003 C34 MK II
Hull #1654
Toronto/1000 Islands

Stucker

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on December 17, 2016, 06:58:05 AM
Jim

I think they changed the stern rail sometime after your model year.  At least on the port side they added an outer lower.
Scott Tucker
2003 C34 MK II
Hull #1654
Toronto/1000 Islands