Propane Locker Gasket

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon W

Anybody know what gasket material can be used to seal the lid on a propane locker? Thanks for the help.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

patrice

Hi,

The locker should be vented from top and bottom of box.
So I don't think there should be special type gasket.
If you need to change the gasket, I would go to any hardware store and use foam gasket that they sell.

Unless there is a special requirement.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Gregory M

To be on the safe side, use closed cell foam.
Gregory, "Luna Rossa", #1063, 1990, T.Rig Mk 1.5, fin keel. Universal M 35,  Rocna 15,
Penetanguishene ON.

Jim Hardesty

Don't think mine has any gasket.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Jon W

How does it make a seal without a gasket of some kind?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Jon W

Ken, I don't know what you mean.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

Quote from: Jon W on December 09, 2016, 05:41:39 PM
Ken, I don't know what you mean.

1. do you have a pic(ture)?
2.  I guess you guys don't have those -- I thought they were on the MK-1, as on the 30.  see:
http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|6880|2290165&id=834163

-k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jon W

The attached is an example of a propane locker on MK 1's. Don't think locker brand matters for my question of what material can be used for the gasket.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

Noah

Jon-IMO I wouldn't give it too much of a brain drain. Any sticky back door weather stripping should work. At Home Depot or West Marine (if you want "Marine Grade" LOL!).  It is already in your aft locker, out of the weather and it is vented in two placed to the ocean, and propane is heavier than air, so it is really not a big big deal airtight seal. I have a new high rise top (from CD) on mine, to accomodate the newer larger bottles. I will see what mine has this weekend--as I never paid much attention.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jon W

Photo of the gasket on the lid of my existing propane locker is attached. The gasket is 1/2" wide and ~ 3/16" thick, pliable and still holds its shape and seal, but is a stiff composition so must be a high density foam.

I'm asking the question because I will be making a new larger propane locker to hold an 11# bottle and a 5# bottle so will need a new lid gasket.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

mark_53

Jon:
It's a black rubber gasket.

mark_53

Jon W

Thanks Mark. I've been trading E-mails with Sure Marine who makes the propane locker. They're happy to sell me the gasket material by the foot, but can't get them to tell me what the material and specifications are.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

jon

I have some of the bomar gasket and it would work, or I'd suggest an epdm rubber strip such as M-D auto and marine weatherstrip

or M-D silicone weatherstrip

or a generic auto door weatherstrip (auto parts store.)   Whichever you'll set the stop on the cover so it compresses the seal about half way.

-k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

patrice

Like I was saying.
You don't need an air tight gasket on a box that is already vented.
Any type of rubber gasket will do the job.
The gasket is there more to prevent vibration of the cover and make anoying noise.
It as no sealing purpose.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~