Nav Table Hanging Locker Top Removal

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Smith

Stu -
When you and Capt Al were installing sliding shelves, did you remove the top of the hanging locker?  I'm about to get into some re-wiring issues and it's a tight fit in the hanging locker with the air conditioner living in there.  If I can get the top off easily, it will provide better access for this project and some others I have in mind. I assume that the top comes off pretty much like the galley counter top does.  Any advice or suggestions before I break out the screwdriver?

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

Stu Jackson

Mike

No we didn't.  Both of the shelf units we purchased "just" fit, even without having to take the door off.  That's important, or else the danged drawers wouldn't pull out!

If you need to take the top off, I guess you're already into Al's galley removal procedure.

Good luck.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike Smith

The nav table hanging locker appears to be a continuous fiberglass shell over the top with the formica and teak top attached from below.  Removing the top will do me no good regarding access to the ship/shore power wiring unless I cut through the fiberglass.  Is the galley counter top of similar construction with cutouts for the sink and icebox?  I had assumed (there's that phrase again) that I could gain access to the space around the icebox to lay in some foam for insulation by removing the counter top.

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

Stu Jackson

Mike

Best answer would be directly from Al.  I believe his email address is on his website which you get to through Projects, we link to his site.

I'm sure he'd be glad to answer your questions.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike Smith

Thanks, Ron -

I have no problem snaking from the distribution panel back through the head, etc. It's the lack of slack in the current wiring setup and the number of important connections (battery selector switch, AC power ship/shore transfer switch, etc) made through the hanging locker bulkhead above the nav table that is my problem.  If the top came off easily, and allowed access to the far reaches of the hanging locker, then I wouldn't have to practically uninstall the air conditioner to work in there.  I think removing the top is a non-starter right now.  I am re-thinking the positioning of the AC and DC switch arrangement now to accomocdate the 2 battery banks, dedicated starter battery, and inverter system.  All the info from Capt AL, the FAQ, tech notes, and message board offer a bunch of options! Thanks for all your help.

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com