Floorboards...

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt.Jim

I am not a wood expert but can those synthetic looking floorboards be repaired in someway like any ordinary wood. There's a dark discoloration and worn out look at high traffic area just by the galley. Can those be re-worked or should I look to buy a new pieces?
Capt. Jim Davis
KISMET '87 C34 - Hull #369 - Fin Keel

KWKloeber

is the sole teak and holly plywood or composite material?

-kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Capt.Jim

Quote from: KWKloeber on November 30, 2016, 07:41:08 PM

-kk

Oh, I thought they were all same standard on every C34. Those striped fake teak look-a-like... I have no idea what they'e made of my friend!
Capt. Jim Davis

KWKloeber

well at least SOME soles are teak and holly plywood, though I can't say to what year/hull (I have a 30.)
If composite, I'd say you're screwed, replace them.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

patrice

Hi

On mine, they're plywood with a laminated holly ....

I did a VERY lite sand and refinish.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

kwaltersmi

Most likely you've got a "teak and holly" veneer on plywood. If so, light sanding and polyurethane is doable. You can also strip the old finish completely (either via chemical strippers or a heat gun), then light sanding, then recoat. I did all of mine last winter and they turned out nice. I also added poly to the undersides for added protection. There's plenty of threads here on the forum about redoing the cabin sole, either by refinishing or replacing.
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

KWKloeber

Quote from: Capt.Jim on November 30, 2016, 10:36:36 PM
Quote from: KWKloeber on November 30, 2016, 07:41:08 PM

-kk

Oh, I thought they were all same standard on every C34. Those striped fake teak look-a-like... I have no idea what they'e made of my friend!

PICTURES!  Help us help you.

Ron Hill

Capt J. : Take out your screwdriver - unscrew the screws and lift out the floor panel in question. You'll find out fast if it is a laminate or real teak & holly sole plywood.     Then ask your question!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Capt.Jim

Agreed.. Tomorrow when I go to boatyard I'll take some pictures... From Internet search I've seen so far looks similar to those holly sole plywood but again...
Capt. Jim Davis

Noah

what, you are still in the boatyard!!? JUST KIDDING.... :shock: :? 8)
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Capt.Jim

Quote from: Noah on December 01, 2016, 07:18:05 PM
what, you are still in the boatyard!!? JUST KIDDING.... :shock: :? 8)

Haha, that hurts buddy!  :cry4`
But a good one!

Oh yes, you can't imagine how much I love to witness the work is moving along with the speed of a glacier!  :wait
Capt. Jim Davis

Noah

Hang in there. Perhaps a preemptive (calm) conversation with the the yard owner/boss/accounting? It may work out fine in the end. I would be equally, if not more, hawk-eyed, to ensure/monitor the quality of their work, which really is the most important goal. Nobody likes to spend money, especially for bad work.
Standard Rig

rmbrown

Re finishing of the floorboards, has anyone finished the backs of the plywood?  is there any reason why this wouldn't be a good thing?  I have plenty of leftover west epoxy from another project.  I'm considering epoxying the backs and putting polyurethane on the tops.
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

KWKloeber

Absolutely do it.

Just straight resin/hardener, no thickener or additives.
One of the slim line rollers works pretty good for that, it doesn't soak up too much resin and leaves a decent coating that you can work over spots where it soaks in more than others. Also seal the edges but be careful not to drip onto the teak veneer or leave goops.

I use the dollar store variety slimline cheapo rollers that come in their own tray and they're great throw away items.

kk

Noah

Lots written about this. Try search term "cabin sole". Sometimes you gotta dig a bit to get the best search lingo/results. In any case, coat bottoms and edges with epoxy resin or enamel paint.
Standard Rig