Repowering and possibly re-engine-mount tip

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

This (an IC30A member) Chuck Eckman did when powering w/a Beta.  It may or may not work w the 34, but I thought it was pretty cool.  Both PDF and jpgs attached.

His post:

I repowered last year with a Beta-20. One of the tricks the dealer taught me greatly simplified the install & alignment. I made a simple "simulator" using 2" wide x 3/4" thick plywood screwed together in an "airplane" shape. The center stick was the total length of the engine/trans. The "wings" were long enough to correctly position your motor mounts. At the tranny end I added a piece of 2x4 that was sized to indicate the center of the prop shaft. Having measured the prop angle I was able to mount the motor mounts to the simulator and use it to position and pre-adjust the mounts to the correct height. Once everything was as close is I could get it I transferred the mounts to the motor and lifted everything in place. Once position I went through the alignment several times with a couple days in between to allow things to settle BEFORE I screwed the mounts in place. Once the mounts were screwed down I had to make some minor adjustments but I avoided having to relocate anything. I'll see if I can locate a picture of the setup but I killed the phone between then and now and may have lost the pic. If so I'll sketch something up. Good luck!

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Mark Sutherland

Dunrobin II, 1986 C34 MK1 #170