Replacement bulb

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulus

I want to replace my fluorescent tubes with the following:  12" F8T5 LED Tube for Fluorescent Fixtures (FL-T5-66)
These are from Marinebeam.  Has anyone done this change and what brightness did you choose?
The original came from West Marine and are working fine,  need more light.
Thanks, Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Ekutney

I replaced the OEM light fixture in the head with the following:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-dome-light-fixtures-non-waterproof/105-oval-dome-light-led-fixture-with-switch/1490/3465/

It provides plenty of light and fits where the previous fluorescent fixture went, a pic is below.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Ekutney

Just in case, another light which I found very useful was the following:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/swivel-led/18-12-heavy-duty-swivel-led-utility-light-bar-w-12-leds-and-rocker-switch/1230/

These come in a variety of lengths and rotate 90 deg, I installed one in place of the fluorescent bulb above the Ice box and one for the Nav desk.  They come in handy because they only require two screws to mount, are lightweight and can be adjusted to shine directly down or back towards the bulkhead.  I mounted them on the teak piece which is underneath the trim mounted at 45 deg. 
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Jon W

Noticed your mirror is on the wall to the right of the sink. Mine is on the bulkhead by the toilet.

Anyone know which is the original OEM location?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Jon W on November 28, 2016, 05:04:01 PM
Noticed your mirror is on the wall to the right of the sink. Mine is on the bulkhead by the toilet.

Anyone know which is the original OEM location?

Doesn't really matter, does it?  I'm not even sure there was an OEM mirror.  :shock: :shock: :shock:

Mine is on the forward bulkhead.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

Mine is foward too, and when I got the boat there were cheapo bayonet round incandescent puck lights not fluorescent. On a 30 year old boat with many previous POs, the term "standard" is kinda moot. I changed all fixtures to LED, using a variety manufactures to fit the location: from Dr. LED, to Hella chart light to Luna Sea, to Alpenglow, which are my and Practical Sailor's favorite.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ekutney

Mirror is one the forward bulkhead in the head, the mirror in the picture I posted is a small medicine cabinet mounted to the aft bulkhead.

I agree with Stu's comment... On a 30 yr old boat it's hard to know what was standard. 

As an example I have Maxwell winches, I was told there were original.  I also had three water tanks, one in the V berth, one starboard side under the settee and a great big water bladder under the aft berth.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

Edmund Burke

Jon W

No, doesn't really matter. Just curious.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

Paul

Note that Nate is developing a red/white LED replacement for fluorescent tubes -- that will operate just like the red/white switchable LED fixtures and bulbs.  The last I heard it isn't in production.... maybe soon.

-ken

Quote from: Paulus on November 28, 2016, 01:17:11 PM
I want to replace my fluorescent tubes with the following:  12" F8T5 LED Tube for Fluorescent Fixtures (FL-T5-66)
These are from Marinebeam.  Has anyone done this change and what brightness did you choose?
The original came from West Marine and are working fine,  need more light.
Thanks, Paul

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Paulus

I replaced the 2 fluorescent tubes with the 12" F8T5 LED tubes.  Had to remove or disconnect the ballast and rewire following their instruction.  Installed the light on the boat yesterday.  Very pleased with the extra light.
This company was easy to deal with and great customer service.

https://store.marinebeam.com/marine-led-fixtures/
Cool Change 1989 #944

KWKloeber

Paul, did it come w/ printed instructions you can post?
I need to do the same, though I think I'd be able to figure it out.  Is the new tube indexed (a pos and a neg end?)

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Paulus

It came with instructions for a 1 tube light but their web site has a link for the 2 tube light.  I can post it if you want.  Let me know.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

KWKloeber

That would be great.  here or wiki  Thanks Paul.  It never hit me that we'll have to remove the ballast, etc. 
D'oh.  12v is 12v right?  LOL

Paulus

Here are the instructions
Cool Change 1989 #944

Noah

It has been mentioned here before... Some of the older incandescent light fixtures may not be suitable or work efficiently as they should/could using LED replacement bulb technolgy and it might be better to just replace with new LED fixture. May have issues with both light dispersment pattern/shape using existing lens as well as heat issues?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig