Outboard Rail Mount

Previous topic - Next topic

patrice

Hi Rob,
You mention that you bought the motor bracket, but the T shape does not fit your railing.
Why not just take one half, put on the horizontal bar and mark the vertical post angle over the existing slot.  What it is missing to fit.
Remove the exess material on both half, and you have your backet.
Even if the vertical slot is bigger than required, it is just to prevent the bracket to rotate.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

sailr4

I was able to return the bracket, so no loss on my part.  I was able to buy the materials for the wooden one for less than half of what the plastic one was.  I figure the labor is probably about the same to make new or alter old.  We'll see how it goes.  Thanks for the tip though.
Rob Fowler,1989 C34 #889 Tall/Wing, M25XP - No Worries, Coronado, CA

I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

britinusa

I made ours out of 5/8" Starboard.
Secured to the Rails by Ubolts from the inside, nuts sunken into the starboard so that they don't interfere with the loading of the outboard.

Felt that the top was too thin which required a lot of engine mounting bolt rotation to secure it to the mount. So I added additional piece of starboard on the top section just to increase the thickness.

Works like a charm. Ours is mounted Port side which allows for a block and tackle attached to our Radar Post to ease raising the engine from the dink.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

pablosgirl

I ran into the same problem with the West Marine plastic mount.  I had to widen the slots at the bottom and to one side to make it fit a MKI stern rail.  I took one side of the mount and held it up to the stb t-rail spot and marked it with a sharpie. I then used a hack saw blade to remove the unwanted material from both sides of the mount.  Did the finish fitting with a dremel bit.

Paul & Cyndi
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP