Waste Management

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Hutteball

Has anyone installed a legal treat and discharge system for waste on their 34MKll?  Finding a pump out station while crusing is a pain.  We had a Mansfield TDX system on our last boat that worked well, but they do not seem to be available now.  Surely someone must make something that would fit in our great boats!
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

hdevera

I loaned my boat out to a friend and the holding tank overflowed. What a mess... I'm told.  I agree, the holding tank is very small.  I am thinking of converting to a vacuflush system.  They require less water and should make visits to pumpout stations less often.

One Love

Finally some one with the same thoughts as me "WAY TOO SMALL A TANK". I had another tank built by a metal shop in Ontario Canada and replace the standard one. Total cost approx. $500 CND. I've added about 30% to the storage. Not the ideal solution but one that will work.

rbeecham

I had a Raritan lectasan installed in my C34 Mk II three years ago.  It and it's salt tank fit unter the sink in the head.  Most of theis area is unusable space.  We cut a panel from the aft berth and replaced it with teak plywood so that the unit could be easily accessed.  I also had it installed with a 'y' valve so that waste can be diverted either to the lectrasan or to the original holding tank.

The system works and is legal in most areas, check the Raritan web site for details. This is the second boat that I have used this device.  If you have any questions contact me or post your questions to the c34 web site.

Dick Beecham                  rbeecham@jersey.net
"Refuge"
C34 MK II  Hull # 1430
Rock Hall, MD

Jack Hutteball

Dick, I could not find their website.  Is the unit a big power user?  I assume it pumps directly overboard after treatment, or is there a small holding tank of its own?  We are in the Northwest, crusing mostly in the San Juan and Canadian Gulf Islands, so assume it would be legal in our waters.  Did you install another thru hull or does it empty through the original thru hull?  Is there a need to keep the main holding tank with this unit operating? Thanks for the help.

Jack Hutteball jhutteball@seanet.com
Mariah lll C34 MKII # 1555
Remond, WA
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

rirvine

rbeecham

Jack, I had a new thru hull installed under the sink along with the waste unit.  It does take some power, I have a 3 4d battery house bank and the power usage is not a factor.  It only runs for a period of 1 to two minutes each cycle.  It varies depending on salt content of the water.

It is legal in most waters, unless it is a complete no overboard area, and would be legal there if it were not for political ignorance.  That is why I kept the holding tank.  If I go into any waters that it is illegal, such as rhode Island, I can use the holding tank.

Someone else posted the URL for Raritan, so I would assume you were able to access it.

Dick Beecham                  rbeecham@jersey.net
"Refuge"
C34 MK II  Hull # 1430
Rock Hall, MD