Cost of fixing Catalina smile...???

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

jon

The first attached, I presume -- is generic for the C30/C34?  I haven't done a C34 site search for it.

Also att'd the "generic" stub fix.

-k

Quote from: Jon W on November 21, 2016, 07:32:58 PM
Ken, what is Catalina's recommended fix for the smile?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jon W

Thanks. Will be good to have to discuss with the boatyard next week.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Ralph Masters

Ken,
They covered the joint with 3 strips of 3 inch glass cloth, one from the bottom up over the joint, one from the top down over the joint and the third over the middle of the whole thing. Not pretty, but strong, wtill holding with no opening of the crack. Bilge stays dry.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

KWKloeber

ok, IIRC I made a point to grind out enough so I could 'bury' at least the 1st layer of biaxial then faired with biaxial above and below (kinda opposite what they did.  That allowed me to make a very clean fairing between the stub and onto the lead.  I didn't make a pattern beforehand to match to, but a guy who does lots of work on his boat looked at it and said it was 'perfect.'

The first shot shows the joint after setting the stub settled onto the lead slathered w/ 5200 (GB recommended it.) The next day I lowered it all the way (and torqued - maybe it was a day or two after that - CRS.)  Yikes - w/ the 5200 I don't need any bolts anymore.

For some reason the length keel buss doesn't match the keel -- only short on one end though.  So I had to reform the 'curve.' pic 2

pic 3 - the finished fairing (if you can zoom on.)

Quote from: Ralph Masters on November 22, 2016, 03:36:03 PM
Ken,
They covered the joint with 3 strips of 3 inch glass cloth, one from the bottom up over the joint, one from the top down over the joint and the third over the middle of the whole thing. Not pretty, but strong, wtill holding with no opening of the crack. Bilge stays dry.

Ralph
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

DaveBMusik

In my conversation with Catalina today on another matter, they mentioned that they have revised the smile fix using West G Flex.
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

KWKloeber

Are they saying G-flex in the groove, and to still glass over the joint -- Or just G flex in the joint and fair/paint it?

-k

quote author=DaveBMusik link=topic=9219.msg67570#msg67570 date=1479862354]
In my conversation with Catalina today on another matter, they mentioned that they have revised the smile fix using West G Flex.
[/quote]

Indian Falls

Ron was referring to this link:
http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6842.0.html

Ideas for leaky keel bolts and crack at the front.

I did this in 2011 and the joint has not changed in appearance in any way despite improper blocking, bumping a sandbar, and 6 hours pounding 6 footers in 35kts.  I guess it's not coming off.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Indian Falls on November 23, 2016, 04:54:22 AM
Ron was referring to this link:

And it is the SAME ONE included in the 101 topics.  I included it there because it was such a thorough, informative, helpful, well documented and well photographed post.

Rebedding a Keel Stub 101  The Catalina Smile with Pictures

Thanks again, Dan.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."