replacing alarm buzzer MKll

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

On my to-do list is replacing the oil pressure/overtemp alarm buzzer.  The active thread "Console buzzer alarm - electrical problem?" prompted me to buy one now.  Mine works some times, sounds funny at other times.  My hearing isn't too good so I would like to replace with a louder one.  Did try a search here but didn't find what I wanted easy.  So I'm asking.
Has anyone replaced the OEM buzzer with a direct fit louder one?  Numbers and source?
Thanks,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

KWKloeber

Jim

MANY years ago I "supplemented" my buzzer alarm (different panel) w/ a 12v piezo alarm from Radio Shack (mine isn't thru-the-panel.) You can get them pretty loud -- like one at 108 dB, but I don't know if it's a thru-mount.  Note that anything 100 and over is pretty darn loud -- 110 dB is like being next to a chainsaw. 

It's exponential -- a 10 dB difference is a doubling (or halving) of the sound level you perceive.   So, 50 dB (say a fairly quiet day sail) compared to 100 dB, is not twice as loud -- it's 32 times louder (like standing next to a jackhammer.)  But, hearing loss is odd -- some pitches are more easily picked up (as you are no doubt aware,) so a buzzer w/ wider range in Hz may be better over a narrow range.

-kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Jim : I wrote a Mainsheet tech note article back in the early 1990s on going to Radio Shack and buying a 12V Pulsing Piezo Buzzer #273-0066.  It's a real screamer @ 90dB!!

I also wired that same buzzer into the back up light of my autos!!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Ron / JIm

That RS buzzer is still avail and is 90dB. 
RS also has the 108dB piezo -- which would be more than TWICE as loud!!

-kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

J_Sail

Many years ago when I was designing a product professionally that needed an industrial grade alert, I found Floyd Bell to be the market leader. Looks like they may still be. Check out their product line at:
https://www.floydbell.com

They are available in a dizzying array of sound types, volumes, etc, and some have LEDs too. Most of their models are extremely loud and all possess at least some degree of water resistance.

I would trust one of their appropriately spec'd units to be more reliable in a marine environment than a no-name unit.
They are available through lots of sources, including Amazon and eBay. It may even be that some of the Radio Shack units are theirs, but only if they are marked as such.

Ken Krawford

Ken Krawford
C350 Hull 351  2005 Universal M35B