Replace Tachometer Light Bulb

Previous topic - Next topic

Rortega46

The tachometer light bulb stopped working and now I'm unsure of rpm when motoring at night.  The tach is located in what looks like a Navpod enclosure.  I disassembled the enclosure and don't see how to access the bulb as the back of the tach looks to be sealed and caulked in place.  Does anyone know how to access and change the bulb?  How about the bulb part number and where to get one?  Thanks in advance for your replies.
Randy Ortega
2001 MKII Hull # 1532 M35BC
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

Jon W

On my 1987 there is a twist lock type bulb holder. Get to the back of the tack, twist the holder @30 degrees, pull it out of the tach and the bulb is easily accessed. Sorry I don't have the bulb part number.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

Randy see the Teleflex gauge troubleshooting document in the engine > electrical page on the TechWiki.

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Rortega46

Thanks for the replies.  The Teleflex troubleshooting guide is a great resource.  I'll give it another look soon.
Randy Ortega
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

Rortega46

Well, it's been 10 months and the tach light is still out.  The Teleflex troubleshooting guide has a lot of info but after reading it months ago and again today, I don't see how to change the light bulb.  If anyone has done this on a MKII I'd appreciate some info on how to go about this.
Randy Ortega
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

Jim Hardesty

QuoteIf anyone has done this on a MKII I'd appreciate some info on how to go about this.

I have a 2001 MKll and have changed out the light a couple of times.  Once to an led bulb then back to the original because I didn't care for the led light in the tack.  Wasn't any problem at all.  Just follow the wires from the other lights push in and twist just don't force.  FWIW  May not be the bulb, may be corrosion at the light socket and bulb.  I suggest some SuperLube/dielectric grease on the contacts when you reassemble.

Luck to you finding and changing the light.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

As mentioned in a previous post I changed all of my engine 194 light bulbs (TOOO Hot) to red LEDs.

There should be a 90 degree twist fitting that hold the bulb.  That was on a flat glass Tach instrument.  maybe the domed glass tach is different. 

When in doubt call Teleflex (941)907-1000  x 222 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Rortega46 on October 01, 2017, 06:29:12 PM
Well, it's been 10 months and the tach light is still out.  The Teleflex troubleshooting guide has a lot of info but after reading it months ago and again today, I don't see how to change the light bulb.  If anyone has done this on a MKII I'd appreciate some info on how to go about this.

EVERYONE. As I consistently say, "Everyone carries a camera in their pocket these days."

Randy,
see the results, especially #3.  If replaceable, #4 gives you LED source and bulb number  - red, amber, blue white available.  If you prefer the incandescent bulb, there are silicone covers still available to "turn" them amber.
https://www.google.com/search?q=change+teleflex+tachometer+bulb

Can you see a bulb holder protruding as shown on the troubleshooting guide?  If not, go back and read Google result #3.

ken

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Rortega46

Thanks for the replies.  I will take things apart and give it another try in the next couple of days. That is if the approaching tropical weather does not cause problems.  Hopefully I'll have more specific questions and pics if help is still needed.

Ken, you say "can you see a bulb holder protruding as shown on the troubleshooting guide?".  Can you help me zero in on where the bulb holder is shown?  Is this somewhere on page 338 of the guide?
Randy Ortega
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

KWKloeber

Quote from: Rortega46 on October 03, 2017, 06:00:48 PM

Ken, you say "can you see a bulb holder protruding as shown on the troubleshooting guide?".  Can you help me zero in on where the bulb holder is shown?  Is this somewhere on page 338 of the guide?

Randy that would be the diagram on 338, the bulb holder labeled, uh, "light".  Just left of the terminal with the blue wire/switch labeled "panel light switch."  The labeled "light" protrudes off the back of the tach case with a finger grab to twist/remove the holder. 
See pics. 
If yours doesn't look like that bulb holder, as I said go back and read the google result #3 re:Tflex tachs.

Dave Spencer

Randy,
Here is the back of my instrument panel.  The bulb for the tachometer is not as obvious as it in the pictures Ken posted above but it is behind the black disc on my 1994 boat.  Your boat is much newer so the configuration may be different again.

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

KWKloeber

Dave

Do you have a replaceable bulb that you can get to under what looks like a black rubber "plug"?  Or is yours one of the Teleflex tachs that have 'permanent' LED bulbs? 

ken

Ron Hill

Randy : I believe that you have the domed glass Teleflex Tach in a MKII C34.

What ever you do DON"T call Teleflex, just meander around a BLOG   :sick.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Dave Spencer

Ken,
I'm standing on the boat now and I removed the instrument panel to check on the tach bulb. When I remove the black plug, I see the socket for a replaceable bulb just like the other instruments. I'll post a picture when I can.
Updated Oct 6. Picture attached.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Rortega46

Hey guys, issue resolved!  Now that I see how this works I realize I've made it more complicated than it really is.  I have a domed Teleflex tachometer.  The twist socket holding the lightbulb is below the black rubber stopper.  The bulbs and sockets are the same for all 4 instruments, and it seems the bulbs are soldered into the sockets. Bulbs are #194 and bulb and twist socket combinations are PC194.  Superbrighleds.com has the bulb and socket combinations in a variety of colors for $5.95.  I've ordered them and will replace them when they arrive next week. I will post pictures on the separate post.

Thanks to everyone for their input and help.
Randy Ortega
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA