Rotella T vs. T4

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

Breaking : Have you looked at Walmart for your Rotella?  I believe that I've seen it there when I get a gal of Mobile 1 diesel. 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Breakin Away on November 04, 2017, 09:20:57 AM
local availability of quart quantities for the benefit of others.

I'm not interested in switching to Kubota at this point, because I'd have to get rid of the extra Rotella that I'm carrying. But I agree, the gallon price is only a few dollars more than Rotella.

Amazon carries T-4 10W-40 / 6 qts for 35.58.

Mark

Are you saying that Kubota 15W-40 dino wouldn't be compatible with T-4 15W-40?

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Breakin Away

Quote from: Ron Hill on November 04, 2017, 01:17:28 PM
Breaking : Have you looked at Walmart for your Rotella?  I believe that I've seen it there when I get a gal of Mobile 1 diesel. 
I bought my gallon of T4 15w40 at my local Walmart this time, about $14. They didn't have it in quarts, but I didn't really want any more than a gallon anyway.

I was at Pep Boys shortly afterwards looking for other stuff and noticed they had gallons for $19. But they did not have T4 in quart size, only T, which was discontinued over a year ago.

This is only for info of others, I've already done my oil change for this year. The boat is on the hard, winterized, and putting the winter cover on tomorrow.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

KWKloeber

Update - I got an email friday from worst marine -- who is apparently now? carrying a full line of Rotella oils.  Unsure if this is something new or longstanding?

T4, as well as T (strange?)
T4 is comparable to auto parts prices, but "T" comes with an application to raise your credit card limit in order to afford it.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

mainesail

Our local Wal*Mart..

Rotella 15W-40 Quarts = $4.88

Rotella T1 Single Weight SAE 30 = $3.91 quart
Rotella T4 15W-40 = $3.37 quart
Rotella T6 Synthetic 5W-40 = $4.99 quart

Delo 15W-40 = $3.45 quart

Oh and this just happened a few weeks ago...

I can now do a full synthetic oil change on our Toyota's for about $30.00, with a genuine Toyota oil filter...

-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

mark_53

If my recollection serves me universal engine manual calls for 10-40 or or straight 30 weight. Why do I care about any specific brand?  It all comes from the same place.  I've been using generic 10-40 from O'Reily's without any problems for years. It makes no difference.  All marketing hype.

KWKloeber

Quote from: mark_53 on August 20, 2019, 10:25:40 AM
I've been using generic 10-40 from O'Reily's without any problems for years. It makes no difference.  All marketing hype.

I didn't think O'R branded a mono-grade or 10-40 diesel dino.
At least mine doesn't and the web doesn't list it.