Removing rusted nuts using a candle and a lighter

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I just saw this in the internet and thought it might be helpful in some cases.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ba2_1475277076

Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

KWKloeber

Yeah and after you crash the fuel dock, you can remove the fold in your hull juzt as simply. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVUxnZOWkAU

Let us know how it works  :rolling but be sure to vid it.

-kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

Is it April 1st already?  I missed it -- where did the Winter go to?

-k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Noah

I frequently use this technique when my car's gas tank cap gets stuck... :shock: :abd:
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

And it must have worked perfectly cause you're still alive.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Bobg

Thanks Mike, I overhauled turbines in a power plant, we would often heat a stuck stud and touch the threads with canning wax, usually did the trick, not sure why the negative posts.   
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I would think that someone would come across a rusty bolt or two on a diesel engine if not a lug nut.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

lazybone

This is my go-to tool for freeing up stuck stuff.  Mine was made by the Chevron motors, tools div.   No fire, just real hot soapy water.  Works every time.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

KWKloeber

Quote from: lazybone on November 08, 2016, 10:35:49 PM
This is my go-to tool for freeing up stuck stuff. 

Now I'll call up a whole new visual next the time I'm asked "Do yah want a fountain drink with that?"

lazybone

Quote from: Mike and Joanne Stimmler on November 08, 2016, 11:50:37 AM
I would think that someone would come across a rusty bolt or two on a diesel engine if not a lug nut.

I'm going to have to remember and try  the wax trick the next time I get a stuck bolt.  Thanks Mike.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

KWKloeber

Quote from: lazybone on November 09, 2016, 03:32:38 PM

I'm going to have to remember and try  the wax trick the next time I get a stuck bolt.  Thanks Mike.

But you must replicate the vid -- on a 1/2" bolt, extra-heavy nut, a huge heat sink firmly against them, and use only a lighter for 15 seconds (or until you burn your fingers or melt the plastic under the metal shield.) 
See what happens (or more to the point, doesn't happen.)  You don't even need a stuck nut.

-kk

lazybone

Quote from: KWKloeber on November 10, 2016, 01:06:59 AM
Quote from: lazybone on November 09, 2016, 03:32:38 PM

But you must replicate the vid -- on a 1/2" bolt, extra-heavy nut, a huge heat sink firmly against them, and use only a lighter for 15 seconds (or until you burn your fingers or melt the plastic under the metal shield.) 
See what happens (or more to the point, doesn't happen.)  You don't even need a stuck nut.

-kk

As you know paraffin becomes a liquid at a relatively low temp.  I know nothing about its creep properties, maybe its very good?   I think you are looking at the lighter as if it was for thermal shock.  I think its just to move the paraffin.
I'm going to give it try when I get the opportunity.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

KWKloeber

-kk

As you know paraffin becomes a liquid at a relatively low temp.  I know nothing about its creep properties, maybe its very good?   I think you are looking at the lighter as if it was for thermal shock.  I think its just to move the paraffin.
I'm going to give it try when I get the opportunity.

Obviously, the obvious trees are getting lost in the forest here. 

Yes, no question paraffin can be used as a lubricant to free stuck threads. :idea:
Yes, applying enough heat will melt the wax and (just like sweating a copper fitting) suck it into the threads. :clap

Google/YouTube the subject and you'll see mechanics use a VERY HOT source like a mapp or acetylene torch, and not a butane flame that's not supercharged -- for just for a few seconds. :shock:

Just like sweating a copper pipe/fitting, you must heat the bottom of the nut, and the stud sufficiently, which are both on huge heat sinks (the iron brake drum and the steel wheel,) to transfer enough heat to raise the surface temp to 140 or so to melt the wax.  This doesn't happen with a butane flame for 15 seconds.  :shock:

Forensics:
Notice the mapp torch that just happens to be lying there, and that he's fiddling with in the beginning -- a hint?   :think
Notice he grips the lug wrench palm down and straight-arms it?    :think  So it appears he's applying a great amount of torque to the lug nut?   :shock:
Slow down the vid to 1/4 speed and notice absolutely no flex in a bicep or any other muscle or notice any tendons popping out, although he "convinces you" that he's giving the wrench all the guts he has?   :think
Notice the wheel doesn't rock -- not even one fraction of a mm -- although he "convinces you" that he's giving it all he has?  :think
Notice he grips the lug wrench the correct way (palm up) when he's miraculously able to remove the lug nut?   :think
Notice he doesn't put his show on for the 2nd lug nut?   :think  You just naturally ass/u/me it's just as "stuck" because he's gained your confidence -- that's what's behind Magicians getting away with half of their slight-of-hand tricks.   :shock:

Yes, just like compressed air can be used to pop out dents in a fender, wax can be used to loosen threads --- just not in the way the two bogus videos "demonstrate."  If it can, I have a bicycle pump for sale.   :rolling

-kk

lazybone

I use Kroil penetrating oil,  it works on the majority of stuck rusted fasteners I've run into (not all) without heat.  Based on its smell it is certainly a distilled hydrocarbon.  Paraffin is a distilled hydrocarbon. 

In a pinch it might be a viable alternative. 
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Noah

I am still stuck on the photo of the Chevron enema bag... :D
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig