Mast step / stringer

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil Spicer

This is what I had after cutting out the center of the wet wooden beams. Had some warm weather so I started the fix. Cleaned and ground the
lumpy putty. Filled low spots with glass and resin to work toward making a level base.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Phil Spicer

Hope this is a better (bigger) picture.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

KWKloeber

Phil

When you say "resin" you're talking epoxy, correct, not polyester resin ( fiberglass).
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Phil Spicer

This is where things are now. Did a pour of thickened resin and added some 1/2" thick glass cut outs, saved from old boat projects. Turned cold so everything is on hold again. Took a hot glue gun and cardboard to make a prototype of ss beams to go under the wood and ss supports under the factory "t" section.

Phil Spicer

Yes, Epoxy...West...polyester is only for no iron shirts !

Phil Spicer

After checking a lot of epoxy brands, I was at the boat and ready to pour so I just went up the street to WM and got some West System. Had planned to try some other brand like MAS but that didn't happen. Didn't want to wait for UPS.

KWKloeber

LOL

FYI   If you use the west systems "special Hardner" you don't need to worry about removing the blush. All their other hardeners leave the blush. Mas hardeners are also blush free.
One reason I like and strongly have recommended on here to use Mas, is the mix ratio is more forgiving.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Phil Spicer

Thanks Ken. Will try MAS after this gal. is gone.

KWKloeber

Phil,
Just more FYI. The way it works is that the Mas hardeners can also be used with the West resin.
You use the mix ratio of the Hardner you're using regardless which resin it's going into.
So you could use a Mas non-blush hardener with whatever West resin you have left over.

The difference in the resins is that Mas has a little more body to it but has surfactants so that it does flow (or supposed to) as well as the less bodied west. Mas also makes a penetrating  resin which I have used which is a little bit less body then the west.

Of course, the west thickeners and adhesives are compatible with either brand.

kk

Phil Spicer

Once again, thank you Ken. This board is a fantastic wealth of knowledge. We never stop learning.

kh3412

Ok time for an update. Got the area cleaned out last winter on some of the warmer days. Decided to build up a platform using aluminium, put a length of pipe for the drain between bilges and pieces of 7/8" plate stock.   
1987 mk1 a work in progress #618

kh3412

Put a layer of fiberglass between each level to tie each level to the bilge sides.

kh3412

The hope is to slide the last level under the wood still left in the stringers.

kh3412

The last level in place. :clap Now just have to clean up the area some more and fit the hardwood in.
Hoping that should water get in the bottom there is nothing but aluminum.

kh3412

Just to close out this topic. Got the wood fit in (took some pounding)