Mast step / stringer

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

I would suggest building your block sandwich while the epoxy is still wet or at least not cured. Then you should not have problems with blushing. If you decide to build it with coated pieces that are already cured, any waxy blush can be easily cleaned off or sanded off.  Also, using the right hardener makes a difference too.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

an oscillating multi tool
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?limit=60&q=multi+tool

I picked up the HF variable speed one for a REALLY good price on a super sale, and FWIW recommend a multispeed one -- it's much more versatile for odd jobs than a single speed and worth the price difference.

-kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

HF variable speed multi tool -- 15 bucks, tomorrow only for iTC members!!

coupon att'd
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Breakin Away

Thanks! I'll head there soon. I'm not an ITC member, so maybe I'll wait until Friday to see if there's a BF deal open to everyone.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Breakin Away

Quote from: KWKloeber on November 22, 2016, 10:13:32 PM
HF variable speed multi tool -- 15 bucks, tomorrow only for iTC members!!

coupon att'd
Actually, the coupon you linked is only for single speed version. Seen any special deals on the variable speed one?

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

KWKloeber

breakin

Yep. I grabbed the wrong one.  The variable was 25 boat bucks. 
The better HF variable speed model that I have is now on 3 day BF sale for $25, no coupon/not ITC
http://www.harborfreight.com/variable-speed-oscillating-multi-tool-62867.html

and here's 20% on that, so 20 boat bucks.
http://www.harborfreight.com/digitalsavings.html

That's crazy cheap for a great tool, $5 better than I paid.

ken

Breakin Away

Thanks, Ken! I was planning to head over there this weekend, and now I'll make sure to!

DaveBMusik

Just wondering if you came to any decision about what to use for the compression block?
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Gregory M

Quote from: DaveBMusik on February 26, 2017, 08:05:32 PM
Just wondering if you came to any decision about what to use for the compression block?
Dave
It is still quite unfavorable to work/check on things, but wood inside is not that soft as I originally thought (surface rot). When I dig deeper it's getting hard. So, I'm going to open as much and as deep as I can, fill void  with epoxy (thickened with glass strands/powder), and glass over with several layers. Spring will tell more...
My thoughts for now. :wait
Gregory, "Luna Rossa", #1063, 1990, T.Rig Mk 1.5, fin keel. Universal M 35,  Rocna 15,
Penetanguishene ON.

DaveBMusik

Please keep us updated! I may pull out the wood below the bilge in the fall and if I'm going that far....
Dave Burgess
Water Music
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

kh3412

Had a break in the weather and removed the "mung" that Catalina had used to bed the wood to the bilge.
Still not sure what to fill space with and as the weather has turned cold again will be keeping all options open.
1987 mk1 a work in progress #618

DaveBMusik

Quote from: kh3412 on March 07, 2017, 06:32:49 AM
Had a break in the weather and removed the "mung" that Catalina had used to bed the wood to the bilge.
Still not sure what to fill space with and as the weather has turned cold again will be keeping all options open.

Nice job!
The early  boats had a piece of wood between the bilge floor and the outside hull. I'm curious if yours does and if you can see it where you cleaned out down to the hull? I'm trying figure out if the board ran all the way from the aft keel bolt to the forward one

I was giving some thought to this in case I do it and was thinking about cutting some pieces of 3/4 or 1" hardwood to slide in and stack. Epoxy them before placing them and then build temporary walls fore and aft and fill with epoxy.
Dave Burgess
Water Music
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

KWKloeber

kh,

What size block (very approximately) do you need?

ken

patrice

Hi,

Just a suggestion, why not take some carboard and make a stencil for a piece in front and one in back of the top support that we see on the picture.
Bring to a local sheet metal shop and ask them if they could make you the 2 parts in aluminum plate.

Bring back to boat and dry fit.  You will be able to fit with a simple grinder.

Once happy with the parts, could epoxy in place.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~