Mast step / stringer

Previous topic - Next topic

kh3412

OK pulled the keel stepped mast off the boat for the winter and was going to dry the bilge for the winter to repair the tabbing on the mast step/stringer. Found the PO had done some repairs to the stringer and the wood was sooked / rotted. Searched the site and found mention of the problem but found no info on the repair. Wondering has anyone else done this repair and how did you go about it?
1987 mk1 a work in progress #618

kh3412

Talked to Catalina today they sent this pdf as a guide for repair.

kh3412

The crack where water was getting in. This picture was from when we were looking at the boat to buy. Had been sitting for three years. removed a section of fiberglass to find soaked and rotted wood :cry4`. Will take more pictures as I progress. First thought is how to remove all the glass covering the wood, Thinking a Multi tool may work here. Has anyone used a multi tool for fiberglass and how did it fair?

kh3412

picture

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Phil Spicer

Will take on this problem in the spring, it's getting too cold now. May try a air driven mini saw to open up the mast step. A multi tool makes a lot of fine dust and the blades aren't made for glass but will work. Shop vac is a must.
   While grinding gelcoat I hit a very thin spot in the back of the mast step and water ran out. Opened up the area and
let it dry out from fall to spring. Patched the step and added a vent to allow more drying if needed. I could not find any way for water to get in except to get past the screws holding the mast base.  Sealed the screws and think the water stopped but I want to open this up to be sure.
   Talked to Gerry Douglas at the Annapolis Boat Show and he said take it apart and remove the wood because it would be rotten. I may look at
replacing the wood with SS or alu. box of some design to support the mast.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

kh3412

Phil I'm down the road at Sandusky Harbor. Where do you store for winter?
Perhaps we can mass produce a repair.  Not sure what direction to take with the repair,
was thinking the same as you, metal, but not sure you could get it in without cutting the floor.
When I talked to Gerry he mentioned laminating it in place with smaller pieces that may be doable.

Phil Spicer

I'm at Deep Water Marina for the winter. Would like to get 2 or 3 warm days to try to start this project.
Thought about making a support with 2 parts, lower and upper because the keel bolts may be in the way of a single part. My bolts are only 2" or 3" from the back of the mast step.
   May get warm enough to go up early next week and get started. 
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

kh3412

Ever wonder what is in the mast step? Well wonder no more. Started cutting the waterlogged mast step out and was surprised with a stainless "t" beam running across. Used a mutitool and was very impressed with the ease of cutting the fiberglass. Should be in every tool box. Not sure what my plan to rebuild will be,but getting it open gives me something to think about.

Phil Spicer

Nice work. Now I know what I am getting into. How long did it take to cut everything out? Was it a lot of mess? What kind of blade did you use? l
Let us know how you move ahead.

Phil Spicer

KH: Looking at your pictures has me rethinking my approach to cutting into the mast step. Just picked up
some new multi tool blades this morning. Will take advantage of this weather window & get things opened up
this week.

kh3412

Phil let me know when you have it apart. Took about 4 hrs of digging wood out so plan some time. Dust was not an issue, get the carbide tip blade. Bring sharp wood chisel and hammer. Will try to get up there this weekend so would be great to get together and plan a repair.

Ron Hill

Phil : I queried Gerry Douglas when the "wood" in mast step problem came up in the early 1990s. 
He said that Catalina change from the "wood" in the early production of 1988 C34s.  Don't recall the exact hull # he gave me now (I may have published it in the Mainsheet tech notes?), but it was about # 720.

It'll be interesting if Catalina really changed or he told me that hull # just to please me!?!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Phil Spicer

Ron, My boat followed yours down the production line, #788 & #789. Tomorrow we will know if the wood was removed or not. Will let you
know how it goes after I open things up tomorrow.
   KH, I will let you know if I can be in Sandusky this Saturday. Call and we can get a plan. 419-355-6135

Phil Spicer

Bad day at the boat today. Didn't get to far but I did hit wood. Hope to get done Thursday.