Rudder is soaked

Previous topic - Next topic

Mas Tequila

Today we pulled the boat and placed it on the hard and while doing so I found that the rudder had water running out of it. I found a hairline crack about 1/3 of the way down on the port side which was leaking water as well as water dropping out of the bottom. I'm guessing the crack is likely from the rudder being full of water when it was stored for the winter and having it freeze. When we first bought the boat in August I did notice what looked like a rust stain and was wondering about the condition of the rudder at that time. Do to a number of factors which are to long to go into now we launched the boat the first week of September figuring we would sail for a couple of months to see if any real problems appeared. For the most part things went well and only a few small issues appeared, need to re-bed hardware and the like. I did have lingering thoughts about the rudder and contacted Catalina Direct for the cost of a new rudder just in case we might have a problem or wanted to upgrade to the newer design. They quoted $3050.00 shipped for a stock replacement and $4500.00 shipped for the new design.

OK that is simply out of our budget right now so I have another idea I would like to bounce past you all. I don't know if any of you have seen "Boatworks Today" on YouTube but they show how they remove the outer skin on one side of the rudder, the foam core and rebuild the rudder. It doesn't look like like rocket science and I'm sure I could handle the foam and glass work. Also my son is a welder who works on some pretty crazy materials and I explained to him about the steel frame inside the rudder and how it can rust out. He says he could easily fabricate a new frame out of stainless and weld it to the rudder post.

So I guess what I'm asking is if you were in the same shoes what would you do? 
Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

KWKloeber

K:

If a replacement is out of your price range, that's your option.  Fiberglass/epoxy work isn't rocket science but it takes finesse and the right materials,   If that's what you go with I can provide some guidance based on many many repairs and projects over 40 years.  Sounds like you have a golden gem ace-in-the-hole with the welding connection -- think about having him add stern seats -- my stainless fabricator made my back porch in a few hours one saturday afternoon, and all it cost was a length of tubing (maybe 2 lengths, CRS.)  Well, plus the beer and pizza.  The mod is very easy for a good layout/fabricator type person to do, and I polished all the welds -- so you know that part wasn't difficult.

-kk

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Jim Hardesty

Quote"Boatworks Today" on YouTube but they show how they remove the outer skin on one side of the rudder, the foam core and rebuild the rudder

I've not done a rudder rebuild.  I've know a few people that have and it doesn't require a great deal of skill.  Does require a lot of time and care.  First thing I would do is drill some drain holes in the rudder and get the water out. Don't worry about too many holes, you will be repairing anyway.  That will lighten up the rudder and prevent the rudder from splitting if the water should freeze inside.  As long as you are at it may as well do the "elliptical upgrade".
There is a lot of information here on how to do the job.
Lots of luck with the winter project.
Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Noah

I beieve you can get a better price from the factory as opposed to Catalina Direct. I believe I read Ken Juul paid "about $2,600" from the Catalina factory for the new style rudder. Albeit without shipping as he picked it up from the factory in FL. himself. Search the forum, lots of info.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Mas Tequila

KWKloeber I may very well take you up on your offer. Also the back porch is fantastic!!!

I guess it only makes sense that if I end up going to this much trouble I should do the elliptical upgrade. Is there any measured drawings available? It seems I saw a posting on this somewhere. I can't get into the tech notes. I joined a few months ago and did the paypal thing but never received my conformation. Just sent an email on that so I'll wait an see.

Noah, I just put in a call to Catalina and am waiting to hear back from them. If I can get a new style rudder for $2600 I'll bite the bullet and just go with that.
Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

Stephen Butler

Based on our own experience, going with the Catalina factory replacement is the way to go.  Much less expensive, particularly if you can pick it up yourself, as we did.  Given the age of your boat, and the amount of water you found in the rudder, it is doubtful that the steel core is in good condition....perhaps still good, but very doubtful.  As for getting the "new" shaped rudder, it does make a noticeable difference.  Having said all this, if you can handle the glass work, and have a source for the ss material and welding, it would make for an interesting project.   Please keep us all posted.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Ben H.

Quote from: Mas Tequila on November 07, 2016, 07:24:10 AM
Noah, I just put in a call to Catalina and am waiting to hear back from them. If I can get a new style rudder for $2600 I'll bite the bullet and just go with that.

Last December I had the factory make me a rudder (the C34 I purchased came with only a 1/4 of it's rudder remaining) Len Keller was my contact and a great guy to work with. I got the rudder for $2518.00 plus $250 shipping to CT. This is for the elliptical (new) design. I also picked up two new Derlin washers for the top and bottom or the rudder post.

Launched in September and it'd been working great.
Ben H.
"Happy Camper"
1989 C34 Mk I #886
Std. Rig, Wing Keel, M25XP Engine
Boat - Westport, Connecticut

Kyle Ewing

You might try purchasing the rudder through your local Catalina dealer.  I did many years ago and they put it on a truck as part of a new boat delivery, no shipping charge to me.

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Chicago, Illinois
Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

kurt

Here is a Catalina 34 rudder on the Bay Area craigslist fyi for $1900

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/5865622325.html

Ron Hill

Mas : You might as well spring for a new rudder as Ben mentioned and see if you can use Kyle's shipping!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Mas Tequila on November 07, 2016, 07:24:10 AMI joined a few months ago and did the paypal thing but never received my conformation. Just sent an email on that so I'll wait an see.

Who did you send that email to? 

I sent you a pm to ask that you send me an email to allow me to check your membership and to resend you the welcome package and passwords.

Without your response there is little we can do to help.

This is another case where using real names on this forum wouldn't hurt.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Paulus

Didn't realize that this boat had been sold?  Great offer on eBay for a new rudder.
Maybe it is my age, but I do enjoy using real names.  Especially on this forum as we have the same common interests and try to help each other.  We don't always agree or listen but always appreciate the feedback.
Paul
PS:  Stu, I know that you have told me before, but how due I know when my renewal is due?
Cool Change 1989 #944

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Paulus on November 08, 2016, 04:16:18 AM
PS:  Stu, I know that you have told me before, but how due I know when my renewal is due?

We send out snail mail renewal forms.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Paulus

Cool Change 1989 #944

Jeff Kaplan

I replaced the rudder on #219 several years ago, got new style, quite a difference. Here's a point to consider, when you get the new rudder, the holes will not be drilled for quadrant and rudder cap.  I brought the old one and new one to machine shop and had them line up both holes and drill thru.  It's critical that these be drilled exactly where the old ones were, might have to cut the post down a little too.  I went directly to Catalina and ordered it thru the parts dept., got new rudder cap too.  Good luck...Jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma