Replacement winches part deux

Previous topic - Next topic

Mas Tequila

I just have to share our wonderful experience with all of you and I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules here. Keep in mind that this is the short version of this saga.

As many of you have seen I had posted a question about replacing our Maxwell winches on the forum. A short time later I received an email from someone asking if they could give me a price on new winches. Later I found out that person was KWKloeber. Not really knowing who I was answering I said that would be all right and figured it was most likely just some salesman who would quote me something close to a list price.

Boy was I wrong!!! Through a number of emails he asked me to provide some measurements so he could make sure that he was able to find the proper replacement winches for us. Ultimately we talked on the phone and I realized he really knew what he was talking about, not only that but he's just a great guy to talk to. He educated me on power factors, construction materials, finishes, what was available on the market and how they compared to each other. He even provided videos. Through what must have been 50 emails (my dumb questions) we decided that the Lewmar 45 CST Evolutions were just what we wanted. So he sent us a quote and I nearly passed out when I read it. I mean Defender's scratch and dent, it fell off the back of a truck sale wasn't even close to this price. No where, and I mean no where online were there prices anywhere close to being this low. KWKloeber has a business to run so I'll keep the prices to myself, if he wants to share that with you I'll leave it up to him.

So the Admiral, also known as "she who must be obeyed" wasn't quite as trusting as I was. She's the keeper of the books when it comes to the boat and basically thought I had lost my mind. She also seems to think I have a spending problem when it comes to the boat. As she put it....some guy, who just contacted you on the internet, that you don't know, wants us to just send him a bunch of money for some winches at a price way lower than the very best prices listed anywhere? Yeah baby!!! What could go wrong?  :shock: Well I then contacted KWKloeber and told him that we defiantly wanted the winches but the Admiral had some concerns. She wanted me to ask him about COD, paying for one of them first, on and on. I really was feeling like a real pain in the a**. I knew KWKloeber had put in a tremendous amount of time and now I felt like I was jerking his chain. He was very kind and said that he understood her concerns and was sure we could work something out, his solution was however a bit of a surprise. He told me that he was afraid that the winches might not be around at those prices for very long so he just went a head and had them sent to my office and I should see them the next day  :shock: :shock:. He said, "if they are what you want and you are happy with them just send me a check".

WHAT? :shock: I mean he doesn't know me from Adam and was trusting enough to do this? The winches came as promised and they are simply perfect, brand new in the box and not a mark on them. So the Admiral sends him a check....to the wrong address!!! I called KWKloeber in a panic and tried to explain what had happened and honest to God the "check was in the mail" Apparently in an attempt to keep my blood pressure down he and the Admiral had already talked and he let me know that the mail sent to the address we sent the check to was automatically forwarded to him and not to worry about a thing.

I don't know if KWKloeber can beat everyone's prices and who you all do business with is, frankly, your business.

I just wanted to take a moment and publicly say thank you KWKloeber for everything.
Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

britinusa

I totally agree with all the thoughts you put out in that post.

I'm not surprised at all by the outcome. I have done several upgrades on Eximius, but the largest, most complex, was the Engine Harness Rewiring and New Instruments for the Control Panel. Ken provided wiring specs, spreadsheet of sizes and connector types, and a lot of hand holding.

And the project worked out great!

Thanks Ken and thanks for posting.

Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

KWKloeber

Darn, you guys make me :oops:
T.Y.  Just trying to treat people like I'd like to be treated.

-kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

Mas Tequila,

I thought you might appreciate seeing this --
http://www.mauripro.com/us/product/LEW49545056.html

The "HUGE" Lewmar sales event.  :shock:

Feel even better now? :D

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Jon W

What is the difference between a CST and a CCST self tailing ocean series?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

Quote from: Jon W on November 30, 2016, 01:38:23 PM
What is the difference between a CST and a CCST self tailing ocean series?

Jon,  GOOD question! 

The difference "rotates around" (uuuuugh) the line "jaws" (actually what we call the "upper crown" and "lower crown.")

(depending on the size) The ST Ocean Series comes in these options:

CST - chromed bronze body (drum, feeder arm & cap); black composite crowns (along with the AST the most prevalent model.)
AST - black anodized aluminum alloy drum, chrome feeder arm & cap; black composite crowns.
AST - gray anodized aluminum alloy drum, chrome feeder arm & cap; gray composite crowns.
SST - stainless steel drum, chrome feeder arm & cap; black composite crowns.
BST - polished bronze drum, feeder arm & cap; black composite crowns.
CCST - chromed bronze drum, feeder arm, cap, and crowns.
BBST - polished bronze drum, feeder arm, cap, and crowns.

There's no AAST or SSST.  You need a menu to follow it.

-ken

KWKloeber

Jon,
ooops forgot two below

The difference "rotates around" (uuuuugh) the line "jaws" (actually what we call the "upper crown" and "lower crown.")

(depending on the size) The ST Ocean Series comes in these options:

ST - chromed bronze body (drum, feeder arm); black composite crowns and cap.
ST - black anodized aluminum alloy drum, chrome feeder arm; black composite crowns and cap.

CST - chromed bronze body (drum, feeder arm & cap); black composite crowns (along with the AST the most prevalent model.)
AST - black anodized aluminum alloy drum, chrome feeder arm & cap; black composite crowns.
AST - gray anodized aluminum alloy drum, chrome feeder arm & cap; gray composite crowns.
SST - stainless steel drum, chrome feeder arm & cap; black composite crowns.
BST - polished bronze drum, feeder arm & cap; black composite crowns.
CCST - chromed bronze drum, feeder arm, cap, and crowns.
BBST - polished bronze drum, feeder arm, cap, and crowns.

There's no AAST or SSST.  You need a menu to follow it.

-ken
[/quote]

Jon W

Is the crown where the sheet is held/jammed on a self tailing winch?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

KWKloeber

Yes, the line "jaws" (what grabs the sheet) is comprised of the upper crown and lower crown, with the stripper ring between them.
For example, below is a BST (the "crowns" are black, the bronze "cap" is above the bronze arm.)

ken

Mas Tequila

Ken,

That's their "huge sale price"?

You better believe I feel better :D

Thank you again!!!!!
Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

KWKloeber