Cockpit beckson portlight

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Shreeves

My cockpit beckson portlights leak around the frame.  So, like need to re-bed.  I assume these are original but don't know for sure.   The frame protrudes in to the cockpit and includes drains.  While figuring out how to uninstall I learned they're not installed as Beckson instructs.  Theyre not through bolted.  There are no fasteners through the exterior trim ring and pan head wood screws are used from the interior in to the fiberglass.  Trim ring  and port was bedded in some pretty stubborn adhesives.  Is still somewhat flexible but doesn't appear to be clear silicone.

I assume I should get the flush mount barrel nuts and through bolt when I reinstall.  So, I'll grab some online for the reinstall.   I see the Beckson instructs to use silicone.   I prefer to use Maine Sails bedit tape.  Any reason not to?    Thank is my first port re-bed efffort.

Thanks for any advice on this!
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Stu Jackson

Bill,

The 101 Topics has links to Beckson topics.

These ports are the ONLY place on the boat I use silicone.  Beckson recommends it.  Follow their suggestion.  This from a Bed-It-With-Butyl fan from the get go.  Don't use butyl on Beckson ports.

Jeff Tancock taught me that at least for the two cockpit ports you do NOT have to remove them, the removal is shown in the 101 links.  Think about it:  what you are trying to do is to stop water from getting from the outside fiberglass / cockpit face into the inside.  Take off the trim ring.  Silicone around that carefully.  Replace the trim ring.  Done.

Sometimes the trim ring is welded on!  You may have to destroy it to remove it, then buy a new one.  I just did!

Good luck.

PS - For those ports I believe you don't need thru bolts.  This is a more like you could "get away without them" compared to "absolute necessity."
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Bill Shreeves

So, silicone it should be huh?   On the boat with phone and, frankly the site is a bear to search since it's  it not mobile browser friendly.   Just finished removing the ports then checked for responses 😅.  Eh, I'll get 'em good and clean.   Anyway, if not through bolting, Any suggestions on how to keep the exterior trim ring nice and snug while silicone sets?   A few blocks and clamps?
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Bill Shreeves on March 10, 2019, 11:47:08 AM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>> Any suggestions on how to keep the exterior trim ring nice and snug while silicone sets?   A few blocks and clamps?

You don't have to search, just go to the 101 topics thread and find the link(s).

i was thinking of using a couple of dowels or wood trim pieces I have laying around.  Just prop them up against the far footwell of the cockpit.  Easier if you apply the silicone early and let it set up a bit before you apply the trim ring.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."