Oil Pressure Switch

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

WHOA! 
I just noticed this old thread below while thumbing through looking for a particular photo....  This falls into the "don't EVER do this" category.

Guys and Guyettes DIY-ers PLEASE TAKE NOTE  :!: :!: :!:.
The oil port IS NOT 1/8" NPT thread, 27 per inch. 
It's 1/8" JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) thread, or 28 per inch.   :shock: :shock: :shock:  (Don't ask how I found out.)  :wink:

There is an adapter available from JIS to NPT (NAPA, McMaster-Carr) and a JIS x NPT short nipple (McMaster), but please don't thread NPT fittings into a JIS threaded port and vice-versa!!   :cry4` :cry4` :cry4`

If that's an OEM Kubota/Westerbeke oil switch in the photo, it's JIS thread, not NPT thread, and should NOT be threaded into an NPT tee -- most common pressure senders like in the photo are indeed NPT thread.

-ken

I successfully completed the mini project. Here is a brief summary:

Parts used:

1/8" NPT brass nipple pipe, 4" - $3 at Ace Hardware
1/8" NPT brass 90 deg ELL - $3 at Ace Hardware
1/8" NPT 'TEE' brass - $5 at Napa
1/8" NPT brass nipple, 1" - $2 at Napa
Low Pressure switch (Model 8606 from Cole Hearse) - $7 at Svendsens

Time to set up and fit on engine - 30 mins.

This was an easy mini project. I tested the Engine Pod after connecting the pressure switch and pressure sender (this I already had). It worked great!

Attached are a picture of the final assembly.

Thanks again for your help. Tomorrow I am taking the engine to the Yard so we can put the A4 and then the M25 on the jig that they (the yard) have to understand the changes needed to the stringers.

Quote from: Ron Hill on February 15, 2010, 03:10:59 PM

Mah : Nice fix to get the oil pressure send and switch in place.

In the picture I also noted that on your exhaust system you have a galvanized pipe fitting.  You'd better keep an eye on it as galvanized pipe is a NO NO in an exhaust system. 

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Guys : If it works and doesn't leak -- don't knock it!!!

A thought   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ron Hill on October 31, 2016, 06:00:22 PM
Guys : If it works and doesn't leak -- don't knock it!!!

You're not serious, I hope.  Yeah, let's always engourage connecting two things (actually 4 things) together that were never meant to be, rather than doing it correctly.

Unbelievable.

-kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain