Pelican Hook

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulus

I have the original pelican hooks on my life line and stern gate.  Need to replace 2 of these as the springs are broke.  Anyone have an idea were I might find these.  Have already check Catalina Direct and WestMarine.
Thanks,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

KWKloeber

I can find you about any style of PH, but am unfamiliar with the brand of "original."
An electronic image secured via any mobile device and its bits and bytes uploaded accordingly is worth ten-thousand words.

-ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Paulus

I haven't used 10,000 words yet.  But will post a pic.  Tried to post a pic but would not send.  Well below size.  Will try later.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Noah

That looks like a Wilcox Crittenden logo to me.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

5/16" thread?  Left-hand or right-hand thread?

-k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

KWKloeber

Once you determine the thread size and pitch, I would suggest getting an "over-center" pelican hook or gate hook (Suncor Johnson, Hayn brand) which are available all over the place - amazon, defender, west catalog, jamestown supply, hamilton marine, etc.  These are safer than the old style w/ the clip -- and you'll find one of those exact styles only in the used equipment bin, or on ebay, etc.

-k

KWKloeber

Oh and www.MarinePartDepot.com  also - they don't all carry the full range of threads, so you have to nail that down first.

-k

Paulus

Thanks, will get to work on this project.  Only needed 2 but looks like I will have to replace all 5.   $$$
Thanks,
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

KWKloeber

Why do you "need" to replace 5?  They can be had for 15-20 boat bucks each at discount. Say one "boat $ credit" (i.e., c note) for them all.

Let me know what you find as to which thread(s) you need -- I have people who know people who have cheaper sources.   :D

-k

Paulus

I just want them to be the same.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Ron Hill

Guys : I believe that the PHs are both R& L handed threads (port & starboard). 
Paul you can determine the size and treads/inch by taking their lock nuts to Lowes or Home Depot to get that info.

The symbol looks to me to be Schaefer!!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Paulus

My original PH came from Trident.  It is 5/16   24 Left Hand thread.  All my PH are left hand.  Check them this morning.  So far only have been able to find them at West Marine.  Stopped at their store.
West Marine carries C.Sherman Johnson brand.
Any help appreciated.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

KWKloeber

marinepartdepot has 5/16-24 LHT w/ the swage, which you remove. 
$15 a pop.  No brand name listed, probably unknown offshore source.  MPD is also on Amazon. 

Suncor's standard is RHT, (available LHT by special order,) so you probably won't find Suncor LHT available on the net or in stores.

If you want the C.S. Johnson brand (can;t get better than those) I can order them in for $52, list is $64.

-ken

Noah

I was wrong about the trident logo being from Willcox Crittenden. It is actually from Merriman Marine Hardware. They do not make those pelican hooks anymore.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

paul,

I just read on an old forum that a sailor used a spring from a Molly (brand name) anchor.  it worked fine. 
Another found a spring @ a hardware store that worked.  They had to rework the tails of the springs a little but .....

McMaster also has all sizes of torsion springs -- if you can match up something very close to the other PH's w/ springs you could probably have replacements for all of them for the cost of a single el-cheapo China made PH.  You'd obviously need to bend the tails of the spring into a hook to work.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#torsion-springs/=14on3q7

-kk