New to c34 and the return of Blackdragon

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Roberts

Hi guys,
Recently this year I purchased a 1988 Catalina 34, Blackdragon from Steve (Waterdog). I wish I posted here way before but to be honest I was a bit intimidated by the legacy he left on c34.org . We have done about 500 NM with Blackdragon this season as newbie sailors and had the chance to discover Desolation Sounds this summer.

I'm really excited to meet some of you guys; please don't be shy to come knock on our hull and say hi.

We have big plans for Blackdragon, since we feel she misses Mexico. We are planning on taking her there Aug 2017, continue down south and if we fell confident enough, we plan to turn right towards Australia. Since Australia is part of the Commonwealth, as Canadians we will apply for a 2 year working visa in Australia.

We have so much to learn; techniques to practice, training to take and books to read. As of now, I'm working full time on Blackdragon to get her ready and equip for the big adventure.

Friends and family kept bugging us for a blog. We just put a website up if anyone is interested to see what we are up to.
Wandersailing.com

Cheers,
Eric and Karoline
1988 #804, Bria Mia - Mexico (Formerly known as SV Blackdragon)
Fin keel, standard rig.

Youtube channel: youtube.com/wandersailing
Latest Video: patreon.com/wandersailing

Stu Jackson

Welcome, Eric.

You have a great platform to start with, and some well documented material right here, as Steve must have told you. 

Where do you keep her?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Rick Roberts

Thank you very much Stu. We keep her at Burrard Civic Marina in Vancouver. We are subleasing a spot there until the end of March. After that we will have to find a new spot or anchor in False Creek for a few months.
Fin keel, standard rig.

Jim Hardesty

Welcome Erick,
Don't be shy.  Please share your triumphs and problems with us.  There is little that hasn't been done by this group.  I think a cruise to Australia on a C34 would be a first.
Best Wishes,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

George Bean

Eric, are you thinking of doing the Baja Ha Ha in '17?  We too! our current (tentative) plan is to leave San Francisco at the end of August and Enjoy Southern California before heading to Mexico.  Keep in touch and perhaps we can buddy boat one or more of the legs.
George Bean
s/v Freya  1476

Rick Roberts

Thanks guys!! George, we are also planning to do the Baja Ha ha. We will be leaving Vancouver early August and slowly make our way down and take advantage of Southern California until late October. Definitely interested to have a boat buddy, let me know how's your preparation going. :)
Fin keel, standard rig.