Inflatable repair in Annapolis

Previous topic - Next topic

Roc

Hi everyone.
The rub rail on my inflatable dinghy has come off. Probably due to the glue being dried out. The dinghy is in great shape otherwise. The 2 part glue and primers needed is not cheap, along with the amount needed to do the job.  I was thinking of just having a repair shop do it. I know there are places on Annapolis.  Anyone know of a place with good service?

Thanks!
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Bill Asbury

Annapolis Inflatables is on Second St. near the Chart House so would be easy to find if you're going to the boat shows,
but haven't had repair work done there so don't know about service.
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

Roc : Have you looked in the Annapolis Port Book?
Try Bill's suggestion.  I had a bad experience with Air Works.  Ron
Ron, Apache #788

lazybone

These are low tech skills.  The prices you will get from the professionals will take your breath away.
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Stephen Butler

We had the same experience with the rub rail on our dingy.  It came loose in several places.  Tried several glues, single and two part, then tried finding a repair shop in Florida that would stand behind their work.  No luck on any of these.  Then we had a slip mate that had a rub rail that had been re-attached with 3M 5200.  Not a pretty job, but it seemed to be working.  We thought about doing the same, but finally settled on going without the rub rail.  Hope this helps.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Roc

Thanks for the tips. Annapolis Inflateables was one place I was going to contact. Wondered if anyone had experience with them. I've walked past them near the  Charthouse. I did a search and came across a cruisers forum talking about using 5200 but there wasn't any info on how it worked. I roll it up over the winter so the rail needs to be secured well. I think there is another Inflateable repair shop but can't think of the name in the Annapolis area. Stephen's point exactly...... I would hate to go through the time and expense only to find it coming off again. Even if the skill level is low I'm sure there are some tricks about it.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Lance Jones

Look on InflatableBoatParts.com they have some great adhesives. I am rebuilding my WM dinghy using their single part for PVC. So far it seems to be working. I will also be replacing my transom.... that will be the proof. Check out this video, and others on the web.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxSbOhIk56A
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

gregbin

There is a place in Eastport used to be called Inflatable experts It is now called Maritimes solution.
I had a zodiac inflatable with high-pressure floor that detached it was years ago that they fixed it. did a pretty good job was quite expensive and they said the majority of the job is getting the old adhesive off .
You may want to consider the age of your dinghy on having them do the repair.