Holding tank venting issue.

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

Quote from: chuck53 on October 01, 2016, 10:13:34 AM
Yes, there is a dip in the line, but there is no way a couple of ounce of water is going to block the line enough to allow pressure inside the tank build to the point that the sides of the tank will bulge out.

regardless, for the vent to work as it's supposed to, you can't have water or worse waste collecting in the dip.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

chuck53

Quote from: KWKloeber on October 01, 2016, 01:17:12 PM
Quote from: chuck53 on October 01, 2016, 10:13:34 AM
Yes, there is a dip in the line, but there is no way a couple of ounce of water is going to block the line enough to allow pressure inside the tank build to the point that the sides of the tank will bulge out.

regardless, for the vent to work as it's supposed to, you can't have water or worse waste collecting in the dip.

I agree, but my point, 4-6 ounces of water can't possibly block many pounds of air pressure that is building up in the tank.

chuck53

Quote from: KWKloeber on October 01, 2016, 01:15:02 PM
If you can get water past that blockage, I think I'd try a dock water hose coupled to it, and water flowing coupled with the pressure might break a dauber free -- or whatever else it is.

ken

I used my dock water hose which has a lot of pressure.  No, I didn't have the 2 coupled together, but I was able to hold them together hard enough that there was very little leakage at the connection.  My wife said there was a very strong water flow coming out of the vent.

KWKloeber

Quote from: chuck53 on October 01, 2016, 02:24:03 PM
Quote from: KWKloeber on October 01, 2016, 01:15:02 PM
If you can get water past that blockage, I think I'd try a dock water hose coupled to it, and water flowing coupled with the pressure might break a dauber free -- or whatever else it is.

ken

I used my dock water hose which has a lot of pressure.  No, I didn't have the 2 coupled together, but I was able to hold them together hard enough that there was very little leakage at the connection.  My wife said there was a very strong water flow coming out of the vent.

My point (failed to communicate clearly) was to disconnect the hose and stick it in a bucket to get max flow/pressure thru it to possibly clear the blockage (dauber?).  If you have it connected to the stanchion it's significantly restricted so that you can't possibly make full use of the available dock pressure/flow.  Yes, if you force even a minimal flow through a 1/4-inch hole in the stanchion, it will appear "strong" (relative and subjective.)  If the stanchion was cut off so there's a 1 inch flow area with no restricted orifice, with the SAME flow in the hose, the admiral would be saying, "Don't step on the water hose."  Simple fluid dynamics.  And you may have to run it for a while to dissolve the dauber.

A parallel - if you have a sawdust blockage in a shop vac hose, would you use full air flow to blow it out, or out a crevice nozzle on the end?

You're probably lucky you didn't pass the blockage that way - you could have driven it into the stanchion, and possibly up the inside tube and down the outside tube -- then what to do to dislodge it? 
-kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

DaveBMusik

I replaced my vent hose about a month ago. It was a bout a half hour job.
It went down from the stanchion a few inches to a 90o elbow. I left the hose attached to the stanchion and replaced the hose from the elbow down. I made sure that the elbow was draining down to the tank.

Dave
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Jeff Tancock

That used to happen to me.
I just replaced the hose.
I don't remember it being difficult at all.
Cheers
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

cmainprize

Change the hose, then you know it's not the issue!  Pop the old hose off at the tank vent, barb the new and old hose together and work the new hose hose into position.  Ten minutes tops.  Change the hose, it ten bucks and you know for sure.

Our you could build a custom tank like I did with a 1 inch hose vented forward thru the hanging locker just below the rub rail and get rid of the flawed stantion vent that came from the factory. 
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

britinusa

care to share the details of your custom holding tank and the replacement process?

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Stu Jackson

Paul, Cory already has.  Do a search with his name using the SEARCH tab on the upper left, NOT the regular search.  Or use the custom Google search on the new home page. It's all there.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

tgsail1

Just an FYI. It is not necessary to replace the holding tank just to change a fitting. We recently replaced and modified our holding tank and had the opportunity to work closely with Ronco plastics on it. They said they can replace any of the fittings for about $25. In our case we decided relocate and replace our holding tank (c380). Price was great, service was great. I watched them assemble fittings. They cut a hole in the tank with a hole saw. To attach the new fitting, they use a process called "spin welding" which is a fancy name for chucking the new fitting into a big hand drill and spinning it in place on the tank until the friction causes the tank plastic to melt a little creating a continuous fillet around the fitting flange. Took maybe 20 seconds. I imagine you could try it yourself, but for $25,they have all the parts and its a lot easier than building your own tank just to add a bigger vent. Either way dealing with the old tank is a stanky job.