Mattress choice

Previous topic - Next topic

mregan

Looking for some advice.  Currently sleep in the v-berth.  Use the v-berth cushions then on top we have a 4" foam mattress.  Always feels nice when I first lay down but I always have a sore back in the morning. 

Was at the boat show and saw one vendor with 6"-8" foam mattresses and another vendor with a spring/foam type mattress.  Was also looking at the Frioli system to use with what I currently have.

At home we have a standard spring mattess with a foam topper which I love.  Would like to go that way for the boat but it's the most expensive.  Almost double the 8" foam mattress.

Anyone use the full 8" foam mattress or go with the Frioli system?

patrice

Hi,

We use the same setup as you do.

What I found out, is the base mattress from Catalina is dead.
Because few years ago, everything was good.  Last summer, we started not to be as confortable in our bed.  So bought a new foam top, 4in.
But still wasn't as confortable.  So next year, I'll by a new base foam.

What price did you got for the mattress ?
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

mregan

When I was at the show the all-foam ranged from $800-$1200.  The spring/foam went from $1200-$2200.

Looking online, saw some 8" foam for about $600.  Need to look around more though.  Not sure if I would like the all foam.

Looking online you can get the Frioli for about $250-300 for the v-berth.

Fred Koehlmann

We've gone through a number of different mattress arrangements. The boat mattress that came with Dolphina was pretty soft and the admiral could feel the hard with her hips and I with my shoulders. So we bought some 3" memory foam from Target and I cut it to fit on top. That was a little better, but I hated the memory foam. Whenever it tried to turn or move, it tried to keep me in place. I felt like I was fighting against my own bed.

So at the next Toronto boat show we opted to go with a real mattress. I was planning to go with a spring mattress, but was swayed to go with latex foam (apparently the springs can get rusty in a marine environment??). The latex foam being better for breath-ability. There were only a few vendors and the Portland Mattress vendor had a convincing display, with beds that we could try (I found that important to feel the difference). We took the measurements ourselves as per their directions and had them make it. The mattress arrived late, just before our summer vacation, only to find out that it was too short. After a few calls back and forth they explained that they take away 1/2" from all edges so that there is room to tuck the sheets in. None of this was told to us, and if it had we would have said not to remove any. Well in a V-berth this narrows the mattress so much that when you push it forward there is a big gap at the head end. (Personally I think is was even more that was removed.) We managed that season by putting a strip of 4" foam along the head end. (Yes, it was over $2000 CAN - I don't remember the actual numbers)

In the end they offered to re-cut the mattress for us, and we got it for no cost, the following season. So in the end (and a full season later) we had the mattress that we wanted, and we passed on the old mattress to another Catalina owner. Now I can seem to sleep almost anywhere and love sleeping on it and get my beauty rest. After our second season the admiral is once again complaining that she is not finding it comfortable. I don't know, maybe as we get older things just feel different?
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Ed Shankle

We had the cushion foam replaced, put a memory foam topper on top of that, plus a feather bed topper. Was great, but the memory foam didn't respond too well to being rolled up to get access to the stuffing box, tranny dip stick, etc. Eventually it split. How do those of you with fixed mattress solutions deal with access? 
regards,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Roland Gendreau

Mregan - we brought our v berth cushions into a mattress store in Fall River Ma that has an on site capability to produce custom mattresses.   

They made us a 2 piece mattress that fit perfectly and is quite comfortable.  We have had it for about 6-7 years.

I don't recall the exact cost but I think it was around $500 back then. 

Here is their website:  http://ecinbedding.com/retail-products.php
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

sailaway

We bought an 8"  foam That has different layers of foams  with memory foam on the top. Best move we ever made cut it with an electric carving knife. I used the old mattress as a pattern but you have  to make it larger because you are higher up on the hull. Charlie

jmcdonald

I was lucky enough to have a pal who was good friends with a fellow who owned a mattress
company. Got a great deal on a 6" mattress.  Always be sure how hard or soft you want the
foam. Don't guess, research your options.
I also have the Frioli system. It helps. It is a help, not cure on it's own.
Where it shines is keeping the bottom of the mattress, where it contacts the fiberglass platform,
dry & mold free.
Happy with comfort of the mattress & Frioli system working together.

mregan

Roland, thanks for that link.  Would be nice to go somewhere local to try out the mattress beforehand. 

Noah

I am still on my old OEM cushions and scouting the new mattress issue myself. Trying to come to grips with the equation: cost verses, comfort, and the balance between toppers, new foam, or a thick custom inner spring mattress sitting on Frioli coils and the worry about claustrophobia from lack of headroom. Lots to sort out.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Sue Clancy

I had a local upholstery guy (not marine) make up our berth cushions.  He used 4 inches of regular dense foam and added a 2 inch memory foam topper that I bought separately.  Glued them together to make a 6 inch cushion and then sewed covers from a material that looks like what your home mattress is probably covered in.  By ordering a memory foam topper for $99 each from Overstock.com and by using inexpensive material to cover them - since they are mostly covered in sheets and blankets we saved a bunch.

These are very comfortable offering the firmness of the foam with the memory foam is a good option.

And to the person who mentioned being claustrophobic with the additional height, you won't notice it after the first day.  I was worried about this too.
Sue and Brian Clancy
Former owners - 1987 C34 Mk I #272
Home Port - Westbrook, CT

bayates

We just put a 7" memory foam mattress in our V-berth.  Bought from marine mattress store in San Diego. Was custom fit. They have material on bottom that allows it to breath. It is awesome. Went with 7" not 8" so I would not bang head. 
Brian & Pat Yates
Hakuna Matata
2000 MKII #1517
San Diego, CA

pablosgirl

Hi,
We bought a 3" memory foam topper from Sam's for around $130 and cut it to fit over the top of the original OEM v- berth cushions.  My wife has a bad back and was kinky to get through a 3 day weekend on just the original cushions.  Now, after putting the topper on her back has not been sore at all over our 7 month cruse.  I find that bed comfort is a personal preference and you may have to try multiple solutions before you find what is right for you.  Also, we went with the 3" topper to avoid the claustrophobic feel of a taller matrice.
Paul
Paul & Cyndi Shields
1988 hull# 551 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
M25XP