Raymarine p70 Control head location

Previous topic - Next topic

womble

From the manual

"The pilot controller should be situated at least 0.8m from an engine, compass, high current power cables, or any magnetic device."

How would one then install the control head on a typical pedestal, that has a compass directly beneath it and a RAM mic directly next to it?

Mas Tequila

Our Raymarine EV-100 is mounted right where your mic is in the picture and we have not had any problems. Our sensor core is mounted to the aft bulkhead in the aft cabin, again no problems.
Positive Latitude
1986 MKI hull # 11
Frankfort, MI

mark_53

My p70 is about the same place yours appears to be. I have an E7D MFD right next to it.  Both in a Navpod like yours with no problems.  Looks like you are already about 0.8m away from the compass.  The radio may be an issue but I have no first hand experience with the radio located there.

Noah

I believe Raymarine's concern is that it could distort the accuracy of the magnetic compass. Move instrument where you want it and see if the compass needle moves. Also, check to make sure your compass is sccurate to begin with by using a gand bearing compass or GPS. Errors smaller than 10 degrees can generally be adjusted out of the compass. Look up " how to swing a compass" or hire a professional compass adjuster. My Zeus 12 inch MFD mounted on my binnacle, caused about 5 degrees of compass error due the the magetic latch on the little plastic door covering the mini SD card slot.  This compass error was easily adjusted out.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig