Trip from San Francisco to British Columbia & Bull Rails

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

I've posted our log (with charts & photos) here:

http://aquavite224.blogspot.ca/2016/09/san-francsico-bay-to-british-columbia.html

Photos are under some of the later months' tabs, click on the month to expand to see the photo listings.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Joe Holmes

Joe Holmes
1988 Mk 1 Tall Rig, Hull 758
Rothesay NB Canada

KWKloeber

Stu

it appears you may have hit and handled about every obstacle you could have expected on a trip that extensive.  Congrats! I'm envious anf the wanderlust is intensifying.

Well maybe "hit" wasn't such a good term.  LOL.

Best,
Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

DaveBMusik

I very much enjoyed reading about your trip Stu. Congratulations on a safe voyage!

Dave

Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

britinusa

Great way to share an awesome trip. Thanks for posting Stu.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

britinusa

Stu, FMI, but what is it that you refer to as a ' Barge Board'?

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Bill Asbury

Enjoyed reading your blog, Stu, thanks for posting!
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

Stu Jackson

Yes, barge board is Canadian for fender board.

I've started to post pictures.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Jon W

Great log Stu. I haven't seen bull rails, how do you approach and tie up?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Jon W on September 28, 2016, 09:24:18 PM

Thanks, Jon.

Darned if I know!  :D  I'll leave that answer to our brethren here who have been living with them forever.  Then I'll learn something and how to use them.  When we saw the first one in Charleston (Coos Bay) it was calm and no current, so Morgan took the bow line and I did the stern line.  I later added the midships spring line.

I have yet to figure out how to do them singlehanded.  Once I figure it out, I'll report back.  It may be never!   :D

KWKloeber

Round turn and two half-hitches.  If you have a long line do the tie up as a doubled (looped) line to shorten what you need to deal with, or pass the line under and back to the deck cleat.  Passing the line back to the boat makes it easy to adjust aboard and easy to leave the wharf w/o doing a "jump aboard."
Not the easiest set up, but manageable.  If you want to be kind to the tie-er-upper, shorten your thrown line at your cleat, if it's a long one.

-kk

KWKloeber

Oh, and if I were regularly single-handing around those beasts, I'd design/carry some kind of hooks that would fit over a 4x4 and a 6x6 to more easily drop a midship line.

-kk

Jack Hutteball

As a long time NW sailor kk has it right! Single handing, get a midship line around first, then worry about both ends.  Nice thing about them, gives you an easy step up to board on a C34.  I am not sure how to tie up to a dock with regular cleats. :lol:
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Stu Jackson

That grapnel hook I bought before I left California is going to come in quite handy!  :clap :D :D :D