Beckson Port Advice

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Quote from: mj_sailing on April 08, 2017, 02:52:09 PM
Yes, Stu.  I'm using Dow 795 for the Beckson ports.  Hope that's the right one for this job.

No, it simply isn't.  It is for the fixed portlights, but not for the Becksons.  The ONLY place that I use silicone on my boat is for the Beckson ports, because that's what Beckson says to use.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mj_sailing

OK, thanks, Stu.  I must have been confused reading other posts on Beckson ports and thought it was for these also. Further confusing is that Dow 795 is a silicone based sealant (https://www.dowcorning.com/applications/search/default.aspx?r=264en). Guess I'll return it and re-bed next weekend with another silicone. This will give me time to get over frustration and sore thumbs from replacing the Beckson gaskets too  :cry4`.  What a job those were!
Mark, "Quest", Grand Traverse Bay - Lake Michigan, 1987 #294

Stu Jackson

Quote from: mj_sailing on April 09, 2017, 04:35:13 AM
>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>Dow 795>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Guess I'll return it and re-bed next weekend with another silicone.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Why not keep the 795 "just in case" you ever need to rebed your fixed portlights.  I don't know if it has a "shelf-life," though.

Yes, those gaskets can be a bear.  That's why they invented beer.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."